intake manifolds

undercnstrction

Nov 10, 2009
i checked with summit to see if they have a 351 lower intake that will work for a fuel injected motor and also pass smog. they said they do not have a lower intake that is CARB and 50 state legal. i realize that summit is not the end all/be all when it comes to parts but can you guys lead me in the right direction for an intake that will me both requirements (pass smog and fuel injection)??

i've seen a number of threads where guys are running "spider" lowers with the "elbow" uppers but apparenlty they are not cars that need to pass the sniffer?

• Sponsors (?)

351 GT40 lower intake manifold

7877d1116270356-351w-lower-intake-gt40-lower-intake-volvo.jpg

+ 1996 Explorer upper intake w/EGR passage (or 1993 Cobra intake)

(one on right)
explorer_uppers_underside.jpg

That's about your best shot at a 351 EFI intake that will pass smog.

Of course prob would have helped to know what this engine is in or what you are putting it in as I made assumptions that you were putting a 5.8 in a fox Mustang

351 GT40 lower intake manifold

7877d1116270356-351w-lower-intake-gt40-lower-intake-volvo.jpg

+ 1996 Explorer upper intake w/EGR passage (or 1993 Cobra intake)

(one on right)
explorer_uppers_underside.jpg

That's about your best shot at a 351 EFI intake that will pass smog.

Of course prob would have helped to know what this engine is in or what you are putting it in as I made assumptions that you were putting a 5.8 in a fox Mustang

you are exactly correct. i'm wanting to put a stroked 351 into my '87 GT. i found a couple of possibilities on LMR. i believe they were trick flow units. i already have an explorer upper. i'll have to look in the morning to see if has the EGR hole. not sure what year it came off of. without doing too much digging, it appears that i'm pretty limited on lower intake options. as i get closer to putting this motor together i'll have to really look at "the numbers" to see if it would be worth the effort to run a 393 or 408.

by the way.......thanx for the pics!!!!!