Is there an EFI tank for '66?

c24sc

Jan 1, 2008
Hey guys,

Been busy enjoying my '66 for the summer. But stripped the donor 91 5L of everything I need to do a nice efi/t5 swap. However, I'm still not sold on doing a double fuel pump with a filter as a resevoir.

Is there any company out there that sells a stock type '66 tank to hold a high pressure intank fuel pump?

Thanks,
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

I keep going back and looking at these, Tanks but I just can't justify the cost. I have one pump, an external from Walbro like the F150 style mounted just in front of my tank. No sump, no secondary tanks, and no starvation either. I just keep the tank above the 1/4 full level and I've never had a problem in the three plus years it been that way.

I think mustangs plus makes a sending unit that has a return in the circle of the sender. Not to bad for like 150. But doesn't work for some of apps. Would in EFI where pressure is high and the return is little.Still scary to me for a pick to face back, rather than have fuel flow into it.

I'm having my original tank modified with a sump and internal baffles. That's in San Diego and they've already done a bunch of them. Where are you located?

I'd be very interested to hear and see what you are doing. It sounds like we are doing very similar things. I plan to run a Walbro in-tank EFI pump to the stock style 3/8" pickup, so that no fuel lines will be inside the vehicle, Then installing a shallow sump and adding baffles.
I talked to the "big three" fuel tank companies (Rick's, Rock Valley, and Tanks Inc), and each one wanted to build a slab side stainless tank with outlets in the trunk, for a grand or more. Screw them! I can do this for less than $250 with a brand new tank! and not only keep the fuel lines out of the trunk, but keep a very stock looking appearance.
Please keep us posted, I'd like to see how it turns out. I'm about a month away from starting on mine.

Try reading this article. I bought the mustang tank with in tank pump and baffle from Tanks, Inc. Fit perfectly in my 70. Doing an efi conversion as well, but have 30 lbs injectors, so i got the higher capacity pump. Nice kit.

Mike

Try reading this article. I bought the mustang tank with in tank pump and baffle from Tanks, Inc. Fit perfectly in my 70. Doing an efi conversion as well, but have 30 lbs injectors, so i got the higher capacity pump. Nice kit.

Mike

Hey mike,
theres is no link to an article. :(

66 Runt,
Would like to see what you come up with. :) Willing to make a couple of extra?

Nate

you can use a gas tank from a 73 mustang. They had a large hole in the top of it that was used for emissions. a stock efi sending unit fits into the hole and seals the same way. You do need to shorten the pump though.

Hey Scott. When we sump a tank it costs about 225 in it for leaks. Takes about 2.5-3 hours. Most will be fine with sumping and just using a hole saw into the tank. that will give you a good bit of baffling because it be hard for the gas to come up out of the sump, and then out thru the holes also. But DK8 here is going to do his best to pull 1g in a turn.

you can use a gas tank from a 73 mustang. They had a large hole in the top of it that was used for emissions. a stock efi sending unit fits into the hole and seals the same way. You do need to shorten the pump though.

Really. Hum, I have a 73 mustang. Has anyone done a write up on modifying the 73 tank?

That would simplify my EFI install.

Hey Scott. When we sump a tank it costs about 225 in it for leaks. Takes about 2.5-3 hours. Most will be fine with sumping and just using a hole saw into the tank. that will give you a good bit of baffling because it be hard for the gas to come up out of the sump, and then out thru the holes also. But DK8 here is going to do his best to pull 1g in a turn.

Now see, that is a darned reasonable price to have a tank professionally done. Thank you for remembering where we all started, and not gouging your customers!

It sounds like you are doing a similar thing to what I am doing. Welding baffle plates parallel to the longitudinal axis of the chassis. I've done this before (non-Mustang). Basically divided the tank in three bottom to top with holes drilled in the baffel plates so that there is no direct path from one side of the tank to the other. This really worked well. The guy said he could really feel the difference in slalom and autocross from about 5/8 tank down to about 1/4 tank. It was a turbo 4 cylinder blow through carb system w/12 gallon tank.

How are you running the feed and return?

I plan to mount the pump through the top (similar to the Tanks, Inc kit), but run the pressure line to the pickup on the stock 3/8" sender. Then solder in a solid line for return that feeds back into the front corner of the sump. Ford has a nice tip to control spray from the return line, that comes stock on their assembly. Since I all ready have a 255lph pump on a 5.0 setup, all I have to fabricate is the flange ring and top bulkhead, then modify the pump bracket, and electrical connections.
for the bottom I plan to extend the stock "sump" back to where the tank curves up, and extend it's depth another inch. With some short vertical baffle plates around the sump, this should be plenty of sump, and still keep a pretty stock appearance.

Please post pictures! I'd like to see and read what you do. You guys do nice work!

I figured id put in my $.02

Check with some local marine (boat) shops. Many of them fabricate custom fuel cells ( or can send you in the right direction. They usually charge $16-20/gal, depending on the complexity. These tanks are simple bricks with a pump...they shouldnt have a problem. They are made out of aluminum

I'd be very interested to hear and see what you are doing. It sounds like we are doing very similar things. I plan to run a Walbro in-tank EFI pump to the stock style 3/8" pickup, so that no fuel lines will be inside the vehicle, Then installing a shallow sump and adding baffles.
I talked to the "big three" fuel tank companies (Rick's, Rock Valley, and Tanks Inc), and each one wanted to build a slab side stainless tank with outlets in the trunk, for a grand or more. Screw them! I can do this for less than $250 with a brand new tank! and not only keep the fuel lines out of the trunk, but keep a very stock looking appearance.
Please keep us posted, I'd like to see how it turns out. I'm about a month away from starting on mine.

10secgoal here is working on mine but it's not done yet. Waiting on a rear diffusor from me... :rolleyes: Sure he's got pics of other sumped tanks? My car is street/road course and will need all the baffling it can get to control fuel slosh and starvation. Not willing to run a clunky "box" type tank though, they screw up aerodynamics (or what's left of it) under the car. The pump in mine will be an external Aeromotive A1000.

dang I type too fast sometimes. I meant by the 225 for the welding at checking it for leaks. Geez. I'll ask Rich.He does the photo stuff. We have 2 more to do here soon.
We just sump the tank, then weld a SS bung in the side for the return, nothing fancy at all.
C24C I could convert a stocker to hold the pump if you wanted, or make you one.

Hello,

i use a 1 quart catch tank in the trunk. It is fed from a facet low pressure high volume pump. The high pressure fuel is delivered from a bosch 255 l/h high pressure
pump. This system works perfect.

facet1.jpg

fuelsystem.jpg

10.jpg

Markus

Hello,

i use a 1 quart catch tank in the trunk. It is fed from a facet low pressure high volume pump. The high pressure fuel is delivered from a bosch 255 l/h high pressure
pump. This system works perfect.

I did much the same thing, although mine's not as pretty as yours, and it does work fairly well. A bolt-in tank with baffles and provisions for a single high-pressure pump would be a whole lot cleaner...