Is this head toast?

hatchb4ck

Jan 4, 2024
OP, KS
I just picked up a 2v for a build I'm doing and while it's on the engine stand I started to clean it up and inspect it. So far, it's been pretty good until I started pulling the plugs. Looks like 2 sets of threads have been "repaired" in a substandard way. While looking inspecting the cylinders with my endoscope I found some significant damage to one of them.

My initial inclination is that this head isn't usable/worth saving. Take a look and let me know what you think. Sorry it's a bit grainy. They are pictures of my endoscope screen.
KIMG1090.JPG

KIMG1091.JPG

KIMG1092.JPG

All the other spark plug threads look decent. Even the other repair doesn't have this damage. I find it interesting that the repair was so shoddy that the old threads are still present.

Thanks for any insight or opinions you can offer.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, taking pictures of a screen just doesn't come out very good. Here's another 2, one of which has been marked up for illustration.
The damage goes further back than is shown. For orientation, this is the #3 cylinder, if you were standing to the side of the engine facing the exhaust ports, the damage is at the 10-11 o'clock position.

KIMG1096.JPG
KIMG1096_edited.JPG