Major Carb Troubles

Starting to try this used street avenger one more time. Previously I gave up on it & put my double pumper back on. Found out the plugs were fouled & had to replace them. I have tried the SA one more time & had it running good last night, but this morning different story. It idles good, but when I put the car in gear it dies. I had to fully warm it up to drive to work. the DP I only had to warm it up for 30 seconds to a minute. No choke on the DP & I have disconnected the choke on the STreet AVenger. ACtually removed the choke cover. (The reason why I was given the carb is the choke has a problem & the previous guy wanted the choke working & didn't want to bother replacing it.) I don't use a choke on the DP so I figured I should be able to run the SA no problem.While driving it was sputtering when I got up to higher rpms. I would say 40 mph & higher it sputters & slight backfire through exhaust. The Secondary spring is silver.
Wondering where I should start.

Engine is a 289 w/ a semi agressive cam, performer rpm heads

• Sponsors (?)

Your just going to have to tune it. Sounds like it is doing the same thing as before. Can't take it off and put it on later an expect the problem to go away dude. :rolleyes:
She sounds pretty lean at idle, and is probably why it is dying in gear. When the motor is cold, so is the intake, and fuel will stick to the inside of the intake, and olny some of the required gas is getting to the motor, making it lean. When the whole thing is warm, it's a different story. Your DP was probably richer at idle and had no problems. At forty and cruise, sounds really rich, and you just may neeed to jet it down. When at a cruise turn the car of and pull a plug. Don't come to a stop, idle for a minute, then check. It'll throw the color off. Don't pay any attention to the outer metal ring.