Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I bought. Everything to duplicate the above seats minus the center sections. I'll still need to get those redone.

In the pic, all four lower bolster covers, the upper jackets, headrest covers and a bolster for $150/shipped. That bolster alone is about $100/shipped.

I'll just dump my extra parts on eBay when done.

In the mail. Hopefully this idea works out as good as it seems in my head

IMG_0603.jpg

Oh, my other bolsters arrived from the UK today. Selling that original on EBAY along with the extra bolster I'm about to receive. Should put $100-125 or so back in my pocket.

IMG_0601.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Since it's so easy to put these seats together, I threw one back together just to see fit and finish of new bolster.

Good to go. Just needs to be recovered now. I plan on reselling these old covers as well. The VW guys scoop these up.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Eh, I did the other one too. These things are so damn comfortable. Washing the covers was a great idea as it brought a lot of life back into the material.

Stay tuned for the new covers. They are in the mail

IMG_0613.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
I like em too...a lot. Going to buy the sliders and seat mounts soon and get them in the car.

Still trying to sell these. So glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 03 cobra kit from TMI. Ive already made my $100 back so just trying to unload these cheap. I've had three buyers in a row flake on me. Got the typical "can you hold them I'll come by this weekend" and then crickets...

I was thinking of making an office chair out of one.
IMG_0620.JPG

Some odds and ends.

These are the rollers that the flip forward latch catches onto. The originals had some wear that translates to a loose fit. I looked online and new rollers were available...for $70/shipped.

So I whittled some out of SS myself. Made them a little tighter as well
IMG_0669.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Side plastics are mostly here. The last one is on its way from Erope. These weren't bad. $50 or so total. They are VW parts which lack the Recaro branding but are much cheaper.

IMG_0668.JPG

Part numbers, for reference;

With adjustment knob hole:
Left - 191881479
Right - 191881480

Without hole
Left - 191881477
Right - 191881478

Some odds and ends.

These are the rollers that the flip forward latch catches onto. The originals had some wear that translates to a loose fit. I looked online and new rollers were available...for $70/shipped.

So I whittled some out of SS myself. Made them a little tighter as well
IMG_0669.JPG
Dang man you did those yourself? That’s nice

Covers arrived. Headrests too but I didn't take pic with them
IMG_0712.JPG

Came with a bolster which will go on eBay at some point
IMG_0711.JPG

Close up of the detail
IMG_0709.JPG

I posted this before, but this is How it should look but I don't have the center inserts.
IMG_0597.jpg

I'll see if I can get one set on tonight

Last edited:
Worked on one a bit tonight. Not quite done with the top. Got all wrinkles out of bottom bolsters but top needs a little more work. Headrest cover is also being a PITA. But had to stop here for evening. One thing I've always disliked about aftermarket seat covers is when they look loose and wrinkled, so i'll definitely be working these covers a bit to get them stretched on nice and tight.

But for $150 I'm pretty satisfied. Fits pretty tight once I get it all stretched on properly as you can see from the bottom bolsters here.

IMG_0714.JPG

Just need to work that inner side bolster a bit more to get that material to lay flat and get the headrest clipped properly so it's tight as well.
IMG_0719.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Done for now. Wish it was sunny and 90 to throw these in the sun for a few hours to tighten them up a bit more. The seats themselves were easy. The headrests were a bitch.

I've got Recaro sliders in the mail, and just need to get the seat mounts.

Center section is actually blue. Looks purple for some reason.
IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

Now to decide on what to do in the center? Vinyl? Cloth? Alcantara? Black? Dark gray? Light gray?

Toss me some ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What material is the center now? I like the gray for the color

It's a cloth material. It's not terrible but not my first choice. I want to get it in the car and see how it looks.

One side has a cig burn, so they aren't perfect. I'm sure I could track down a bottom if needed.

IMG_0786.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So since the sliders and seat mounts will be exposed, I was searching for a way to cover them up. Picked up a set of Recaro side skirts from a VW.

IMG_1004.JPG

The hole is for a switch, which I have. Unsure if I want to use it though. I have thought about adding a Mustang style lumbar bladder and the switch would work well.

However I also though about filling the hole and covering the entire panel in some matching fabric.

For now, SEM black paint.
IMG_1006.JPG

That's interesting. I still have to attach the leather dash trim I bought to the dash pad. Only reason I haven't is because I'm looking for a red or blue panel cheap to use instead of ruining a nice oem black one.

But I might cover these seat panels and that's a great method to use.

I bought a yard of gray alcantara that matched the unisuede sample I got from TMI. I'd like to recover the door pocket trim panel on each door to match the seat. Of course that won't be until I actually do it.

Seat mount should be here Sat. Gonna put a seat in the car.

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

Scored a set of door panel inserts. I'll try stripping them down and recovering them with the alcantara. Of course I should wait on that until I get the centers redone of course. But my plan is to replace the black tweed inserts (those seats are long gone but wish I kept them) with alcantara
IMG_9319.JPG

Still getting quotes on the centers. Got a few "holy crap" quotes.

Remember when I almost did this?
IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited:
So I took advantage of LMRs 10% off Black Friday coupon and bought the Corbeau rear vinyl seat kit. Its most likely not what I'll run long term in the rear, but for $130/shipped I'll toss it in for now and revisit a custom rear seat later on.

IMG_1106.JPG

It's pretty close, but there are differences such as piping vs the red stitched French seam. Headrest of the Recaro (you can see the red stitch) vs one of the corbeau covers

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

Later on I'll have the whole back seat redone. Maybe they can use this and just change the piping to a matching seam and add the alcantara inserts. That will come later.

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Oh and one shop quoted me $780 for just the inserts on the front seat. Still searching around. I need a passenger seat mount too at $140. Oh I gotta finish my MM coilovers still. Need $700 worth of struts and a bumpsteer kit.

That's why the corbeau kit is going in the rear for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.