Need help from PC users (buying a new hard drive)

bvav22 said:
i build computers, and trust me brands dont mean THAT much. u need to look more into the specs of the hard drive.
im assuming u are just getting and ide hard drive so go with western digital or seagate. if those are to expensive for u check out newegg.com they have ALOT of cheaper brands. samsung makes great hard drives for cheap.

I dont know that much about them, so i dont know if i want to get into all that SATA stuff... i was completely happy with how everything was, just too small, and i got a few viruses that started killing it and it wont run right anymore.. + it was only a 40 gig hard drive, so i want something a little bigger. but thanks, im going to keep looking and see what i come up with

• Sponsors (?)

I have to agree with 88 Fox GT. I had a Maxtor 160 GB give up after 8 months. You will find similar stories about Maxtor's on a lot of the computer forums.

Just bought a 160 GB Western Digital. Came with great software.

Also, be sure to back up your current hard drive while you still have a chance!

bvav22 said:
i build computers, and trust me brands dont mean THAT much. u need to look more into the specs of the hard drive.
im assuming u are just getting and ide hard drive so go with western digital or seagate. if those are to expensive for u check out newegg.com they have ALOT of cheaper brands. samsung makes great hard drives for cheap.

Great advice with the exception of Samsung HDD's - I work for a large system builder and we used to use Samsung drives years ago - their failure rate was pretty high. Maybe they got better though.

Maxtor was bought by Seagate a while back, so they may as well be the same brand. Western Digital and Seagate are both good brands. Seagate has a better warranty if you buy a base drive with 2mb cache.

Newegg is probably your best bet for price. They literally make 2-3% profit over cost so nobody should be much lower price wise and they don't completely kill you in shipping charges.

Here's a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148102

u could try getting a 10,000 rpm one for speed and stuff. i have a 7200 rpm western digital 200 gig on my built compuer and its just fine.

10,000 rpms you can only get up to 80 gigs a pop w.o. spending tons of money.

bvav22 said:
sata = the ****nit if u have sata on ur mobo get sata, if not dont worry to much about it.
I wouldn't call SATA the ****nit, but it's much less clutter than the IDE cables. Hard drives don't even max out the ATA100s (100mb/s) bandwidth anyway.

If you want a really fast setup, get yourself two 10,000 RPM drives and put them in RAID 0. :D

Stay far far away from maxtor and WD.. I have been an MCSE certified tech for 4 years now and I have seen more than a fair share of Maxtors and WD's crap out.. I had a WD 40 gb drive years ago that sounded like a procharger.. I only use Seagate drives now, not one problem on my end and not one complaint from clients or customers.

Jon