need stereo help

mike68gt

Mar 4, 2007
does anyone know where i can get a 2 shaft cassette stereo ? I've been looking for one with the amber backlights and havent been able to find one yet. My car is a 68 with a console and I dont want to cut up the faceplate to install a cd player. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Practically anywhere! Really, hit up the auto-parts stores, their suppliers usually still have old-style decks for sale. Also, you have one of the greatest shopping tools in front of you as you read this - the Internet. Pioneer makes a great little shaft-mount AM/FM cassette head unit with controls and cabling for their (or others') 6,10, or 12-disc CD changers. EDIT: I'm looking at one of these for the Big Cat now known as Battlestar Cleopatra, actually.

Most people (at least in my neck of the woods) look around at Wally World and Best Buy, then think it must be time to take the sawzall to the car :rolleyes:
Be different - be thorough!

custom auto sound, ken harrison, and ebay are probably the only places you'll find new ones or even good used ones. the ones they sell at most parts stores are super cheapie items like Pyramid and crap like that.

SD, where have you seen a new pioneer shaft mount cassette deck?

stay away from the custom autosound radios... most people (myself included) feel they are actually sparkomatic products.i used to have their usa6 i was going to put in my 65, but i couldnt bring myself to do it.i ended up buying a very nice jvc shaft type off ebay.look for the kenwood krc xxxx (4 numbers)models. the 3000 series have the most features.

Beats me - I had looked for one not too long ago, found a Pioneer unit as well as a Kenwood and an Alpine; and now nobody carries them! WTF??????

Great! Now I can look forward to cutting up the Cougar's radio panel. :nonono:

i bought a really nice JVC unit off ebay for around 40 bucks. i bought because i wanted to keep my old Alpine for the 69 cougar i'm going to buy in a few months. the JVC is so nice i may end up keeping it :shrug:

I thought of that myself - although enough " Your ebay/PayPal account is hacked" SPAM fills up my Junk Mail folder now - don't think I want to actually get an account with either entity! :rolleyes:

Right now, Ive another MSN window open, looking at MD's online catalog. There's an awfully cool Pioneer head unit that I'd like to slide into the Big Cat; but I want to find a repop bezel to cut up.