Need suggestions for my next track outing...

Mike86Stang

Advanced Member
Apr 11, 2000
Red Lion, PA
Last time I went I was smoking my clutch launching at 3500rpm, with a bad EEC,the wrong timing & the wrong plugs in it(think anything else coulda gone wrong) rlaugh:. Anyway my best run was a 13.27 103.7mph.
At the time I was running 225/60/15 BFG DR's on 10 holes launching @ 3500 rpm smoking the clutch which netted me a 1.9 60ft.

I still need to get a new clutch before I hit the strip but I do have some questions regarding driving technique & such.

My mods are:
Edelbrock 6037's w/2.02 valves & 1.7ratio roller rockers
Steeda # 19 cam (220/226 @.050 w/.510 using the 1.7's)
Holley Systemax II intake with 70mm TB & spacer 75MM MAF
Mac Shorties 2.5" o/r H & mac cat back also 2.5 "
T-5Z (2.95 first) with 3.73's.

Obviously my trap speed was low but I think that has to do with all those gremlins I had. What I'm worried about are my 60fts & my clutch. I seem to have trouble keeping clutches in the car. When I do a burnout I'll hit the water box spin em then drop it at 3000 rpm to get em spinning. I try to foot brake it to keep it from going forward but it seems to dig in & not just sit & spin. However I do think my clutch problems probably stem from the way I drive it at the track :shrug:

As far as getting out of the hole faster, should I be running a wider DR? obviously the 225's are touch small I can spin my 255's(radials) like they aren't there. What size should I go with without hurting my axle ratio? The
reason for the 3500 rpm launch is b/c anything over that it wouldn't hook at all & just spin. Feathering the clutch out of the hole with the 3500 launches burned the clutch. I didn't really want to "pop" the clutch b/c I'd imagine it would just spin.

Sorry for the book guys/gals TIA
Mike (trying not to be a BAD driver anymore:p)

• Sponsors (?)

mike,
i think you would definatly benefit having some wider tires that way you could dump the clutch, and at a higher rpm :D . i beleive with a hint of tire spin, that would be easier on the clutch than feathering it. :shrug: how about getting some slicks from bill? if you want to stay with a drag radial, get the 275-50-15's. they should only be about a 1/4" taller.

i'm running a stock replacement clutch from D&D Motorsports and i dump the clutch anywhere from 4000-5500 rpm. that is with et streets and have not had a problem yet(knock on wood). i know the clutch won't last forever, but i wasn't even expecting it to last this long with the amount of track passes i've done with it. if you're now looking to spend the money for a spec from bill, this is a cheaper alternative.

PS, i hope you got the gremlins worked out.

Yeah I think my next step will be a spec II or III I'll have to talk it over with bill once I have the cash.

So do you recomend I dump the clutch or just rev higher before I let it out? I've never "dumped the clutch" launching usssually try to feather it out of the hole to keep it from spinning. i don't know if it's the "right" way to do it lol. I just know i'm gonna have to stay N/A until I kill this motor then I'll move on to my twin turbos (worried about piston strength). I'm also worried about snapping axles with slicks... are you still running or were you running stockers with slicks?

Now that the power should be there I need to start focusing on hooking it up & honestly never even bothered with it before. As far as the gremlins go they are gone.
I don't know how fast stock lightnings are (making an assumption this guy was stock) but I stayed with a new black one & was pulling on him from a red light to the top of third. So who know's how fast she'll go now :shrug:

i'm not sure dumping the clutch with those tires are going to make things any better. probably just make it worse.

i've never run the slicks with stock rear. i'm running a 31 spline T-lock from a bronco along with moser axles, so i should be fine for a while(again, knock on wood).

pulling on a lightning? sounds like your times should definatly improve next time out. i'm going to SSOTN meeting april 17th at cecil. i'm hoping they prep the track pretty good and i shave 3 tenths off. :rolleyes:

As axeman said, a wider DR certainly couldn't hurt, but you can't launch on them like you would slicks. I would think with a wider DR (255-275) that you should be able to just let out (no need to sidestep or "dump") the clutch without feathering it at 3.5-4K, but you are kind of at the mercy of the track. Everyone's car seems to be slightly different in terms of weight and rear suspension, so trial and error will be the best indicator of what the DR's will allow you to do.

DR's are like trying to piss into the wind. If you aren't setup right and know what you are doing you're just going to make a mess of it...

Get a set of ET streets 26 x 9 x 15 and put them on a set of ten holes. Two second burnout and leave at 4k hammering the throttle as the clutch pedal comes up. You will be a believer.

BTW, first street race is next Saturday at MD...

Jamie

Depending on what my schedule looks like I may have to hook up with you Mark.
I need to give it another go now that things are worked out a little with all the engine
problems.Besides I've been getting antsy on the street & I need to "take it to the track":jester:. I'd like to go to MD again but time doesn't really permit. I'm moving to a new house & I've been staying up to 4am getting back up at 7am working on the house. I don't even know when it'll be done:shrug:

Question do you have your TQ boxes done yet? You also have a 6 pooint don't you?
I'd like to step up to some stronger axles to use slicks but would think it's best to weld em up or reinforce them first.I guess I got a long way to go before I start messing with slicks lol.I wish I had more time so I could go to Capital or 75/80 (two closest tracks) to getsome more practice on the DR's. I guess that's the bottom line since I could count all my track outings on two hands. Hopefully I'll learn to launch this SOB before I frag another clutch totally lol :D

With the gearing/mod's/tires i'm using is there any specific rpm I should be trying to launch at??When I tried 3500rpm with the Dr's & it spun a little but it did grab until the top of first then shifting to second got loose & then got a scratch when shifting to third. Now that was feathering the clutch out of the hole & my best 60ft was a 1.93???(I think)

EDIT: Duh 1.96 it's in my sig :p

that'd be great to hook up sometime mike. but, if you want some real life experience in trying to get your car to hook, you should talk to bill or rickki. i'm still learning and can't even figure my car out. my best 60' to date was a 1.78, but my average is only ~1.85. that's not good enough for me. not with all new rear control arms, gears, and slicks. hopefully on the 17th i can manage to hook up seeing cecil has been open now for over a month, so the track should be getting better.

my torque boxes are done(for now). i've had my lowers reinforced for a year or two and they are not welded at this time. although i don't have the uppers reinforced, i did get them welded a couple weeks ago. hopefully they'll be good enough. no cage here. no need for one(yet).

there's a bunch of people out there running slicks with stock rear and axles. i wouldn't recommend it though if that's your only vehicle.

if you want to be easier on the clutch, i say launch at a lower rpm without feathering the clutch. try dumping the clutch at 3000, then 2500. that should help. i'm not sure what it will do for your 60's though. i know when i run my street tires, i always leave right above idle.