New Cobra...

jayz2900

Apr 2, 2005
I used to have an 03 gt, I just traded it in for an 03 cobra, I have couple questions:

1. The service light came on as I was driving home, so I took it up to the dealership. They said the dude that had it before me cut off the cats, so now if I was to go get my emissions done, they said it will never pass. I have my old gt cat's in my back yard, because I swapt them out when I put the x-pipe on the gt, will those fit the cobra when I have to get the emissions done?

2. At the dealship they said that the guy before me has a lot of mods on the car already, I could tell about the clutch, because it is extremely hard to push, but they also said hit had a bigger pulley, maybe a chip and maybe a gear. Is there an easy way to tell if hey did put in a chip and a gear?

3. I know which style rims I want, they look like 5 star rims with a split in the middle of the spokes and they are also deep dish. Any one know where I can find some like that?

• Sponsors (?)

jayz2900 said:
I used to have an 03 gt, I just traded it in for an 03 cobra, I have couple questions:

1. The service light came on as I was driving home, so I took it up to the dealership. They said the dude that had it before me cut off the cats, so now if I was to go get my emissions done, they said it will never pass. I have my old gt cat's in my back yard, because I swapt them out when I put the x-pipe on the gt, will those fit the cobra when I have to get the emissions done?
Take the car back and demand they remedy the problem. In most states it's against the law to knowingly sell a vehicle with faulty or modified emissions equipment. As for whether your old stock '03 GT mid-pipe is exactly the same at the stock '03 Cobra mid-pipe I'm not sure. I'm sure it would bolt right up, but whether the cats the GT utilizes are the same as the Cobra's I don't know.

jayz2900 said:
2. At the dealship they said that the guy before me has a lot of mods on the car already, I could tell about the clutch, because it is extremely hard to push, but they also said hit had a bigger pulley, maybe a chip and maybe a gear. Is there an easy way to tell if hey did put in a chip and a gear?
I sure hope the dealer gave you a good warranty, sounds like the previous owner may have beat the livin' chit out of this Terminator! Well it either has a bigger lower crank pulley, or a smaller upper supercharger pulley. Measure the diameter of the lower crank pulley, if it's more than 7.60 inches then it's not stock. Measure the upper pulley diameter and if it is less than 3.65 inches it is not stock. If the car does have non-stock upper or lower pulleys you better hope it has a chip of a flashed ECM!!! Yank the passenger kick panel off and remove the ECM. There is a J3 port/connector on the back. If there's a chip installed it will be plainly visible (it will be pushed into the J3 port/connector). If there is no chip connected to the J3 look at the actual metal contacts and see if they look shiny and copper colored. If so then there WAS a chip installed but has since been removed. If the J3 port/connector has a waxy substance coating the contacts then it most likely never had a chip installed. Now if your ECM has been "flashed" and you didn't get a handheld programmer with the purchase of the car you could be screwed. There really is no way for you to check to see if your ECM is running a different calibration.

jayz2900 said:
3. I know which style rims I want, they look like 5 star rims with a split in the middle of the spokes and they are also deep dish. Any one know where I can find some like that?
Dude... can you find a pic on the web and post it up? Your description is way too vague...

U.M.

They cant legally sell you the car without a properly function emmisions system let alone without the cats unless they had you sign a waiver. They basically have to order you new cats and install them free of charge. Dealerships shouldnt give you the run around either because they can get into trouble for that if you start making waves.

Dan_Soprano said:
the h-pipes are the same. your gt's will fit.

Im not so sure about that. The maifold collector on the 4Vs is 2 1/2...GTs are 2 1/4. 4V exhaust is 2 1/2 .....2V is 2 1/4. Or so I have been told....may want to look into that before he tries to bolt the thing up...and the fact that the 4V heads probably alters the location of the shorty headers (re wider engine?)

If I were you (owner) I would have the dealer flash a STOCK tune into the EEC...that way you know your car is safe. then MAKE them put a stock midpipe on (since its illegal to sell a vehicle W/O cats). Next, measure the pulleys, look for any other mods, and take it to a nice dyno shop and get a dyno tune with an SCT X CAL. :nice:

hotmustang331 said:
If I were you (owner) I would have the dealer flash a STOCK tune into the EEC...that way you know your car is safe.
There's only one problem with this... if the ECM was in fact flashed with a new tune using a Predator/XCal2 and the new owner was not given the unit used to perform the flash, and/or the ECM was not reloaded with the stock calibration used that same handheld tuner, the dealer will not be able to flash over the top of the existing tune. A whole new EEC will have to be purchased and installed. :(

U.M.