New Headers and Pipe INSTALLED, Catback Sound??

I just switched exhaust setups this weekend on my 2002 GT. Before I was running MAC LT Headers, O/R Prochamber, and Magnapacks. The sound was nice and deep, but the poor quality headers were giving me trouble, and I decided to swap them out. I am now running BBK LT Headers, BBK O/R H Pipe, and the Magnapacks. The problem is, I think the Magnapacks are too aggressive for the free flowing setup I have now. It sounds nice and deep at lower RPM's, but when I lay on it, the exhaust kind of farts (like a high pitched rasp). It sounds like I am shooting flames out from behind my car. It doesn't sound horrible, but I am more for the deep throaty sound throughout the RPM range, still being loud, haha. I figured its because of the new O/R H coupled with the straight through design of the Packs. When I had the Prochamber, it mellowed out the exhaust tone before it hit the catback and kept it deep. Now with the O/R H, its just shooting right through. So I think Im going to switch up to a chambered catback, to mellow the new sound.

I was hoping to get some feedback as to what would be a good choice. Im thinking of going with either the original Magnaflows (not the Maganpacks), the SLP Loudmouth II's, or possibly some Borla Stingers (but kind of pricey). Those are the only ones I could think of that are all stainless steel and offer a chambered muffler. I'm leaning towards the Magnaflows, since I really like the tips I have now. But, I also have heard good things about SLP, just not a big fan of the rolled tips. I also want to keep a loud aggressive tone, and just deepen what I have now. Are any of the catbacks I mentioned quieter than others? What do you think would get rid of the current noise I have at higher RPM's, as well as maintain an aggressive deep (loud) exhaust note? And are there any other catbacks you would suggest?

I also thought about switching to a shorty catted BBK H-Pipe, but I can get a new catback for the same price, and would rather keep it O/R.

Thanks for your input guys!

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

i'm swapping out my SLP LM1's with the LM2's as soon as the man in brown shorts gets here. i'd say go with the LM2's. i'll tell you how they sound on my set-up, although they would sound different with your h-pipe and LT's. theres a guy with the LM2's and an MRT H-pipe with vids. i'll try to find them for you.

the LM1's are a hair louder than the packs, and the LM2's are a hair quieter and deeper, but i'll tell you for sure once i find out first hand. also, you MAY* be able to fit the LM2's into your existing magnapack set-up. i dont know the exact dimensions, but doesnt magnaflow use a slip-fit design with band clamps, just like slp? i know both are 2.5". buying the LM2 muffs would only cost you $160 instead of $360 for the entire cat-back, and you could keep your current tips. IF you could get them to fit into the magnaflow tubing that is.

The regular magnaflows are straight through also...but alot quieter than the packs....but they are DEEP toned. LOL, the other night I had a guy in a stockish GT try and race (didnt go too well as I was in low RPM of 3rd....he didnt win though) and we get up to the next light and hes like "dude, what kind of exhaust do you have? It sounds twice as good as mine" so I told him and ask what he has, and he says he just has some flows....I thought it sounded pretty good, but mine does sound sweet...everyone I talk to is like "GAWD your car sounds soooo good" . When I get u next to a wall i can hear how it sounds and I freegin drive in 3rd or 4th just to hear it :drool: . I know everyone likes their exhaust, but I hear alot of stangs and truthfully, most dont sound very good. Every once in a while you will hear a nice sounding one...like most of the cars with a flowmaster CB and O/R X sound GREAT....but weldin and O/r X generally doesnt sound good...but weldin and stock H sounds great. It weird....like mine sounds like CRAP at WOT, dont know why....I have been told its my stock manifolds so my LTs should fix that.
Anyways, my car is pretty quiet for O/R so if you want LOUD then the rgular magnaflows probably are not for you. SLP and o/R usually sound monotone, SO you best bet is to keep your packs and get another prochamber....its the H thats screwing up the sound.

Helty - Yeah, let me know how your new catback sounds, what kind of mid pipe are you running? And a link to that vid would be great, thanks!

hotmustang331 - So you have the regular Magnaflows, which midpipe as well? Right now my car screams at WOT, thats the best part on the xway. If I did go with that catback, hopefully my LT's would help out. Thanks.

Spreadman said:
Have a muffler shop modify the Prochamber to fit the BBK's. If not, grab a Spintech catback with Sportsman mufflers on it.

I had someone else suggest Spintech as well. Never really looked into them. How are the sportsman mufflers, is it deep and loud or more mellow? And also where can I find prices on their catbacks besides their site, which had a list price of $800 for just the catback...

:jaw:

And for those that suggested modifying the Prochamber, I dunno. I really like that my BBK H is a direct fit. And I dont want to have to get the Prochamber all banged up and such, to get a fit that may not be as perfect, and in turn may cause leaks. What do you think? Plus, I like the louder level of the O/R H, I was hoping to just deepen it with the right catback and get rid of that high pitched tone that sounds like the Batmobile.

Keep the options coming, thanks guys!

Well the thing is, i have a DR gas O/R X which sounds like no other midpipe. Its gives a real smooth nascarish sound, then combind with my magnaflows.....it reaaly deep below 4Kish and then the sound COMPLETELY changes to a higher pitched SMOOTH sound and gets really loud :drool: . Not really high or anything, but sounds like the car is screaming and sounds great. Basically if I want it too sound all old school muscly I just stay below around 3500-4K and its super deep....If I want a higher pitched almost nascar sound (sounds almost exactly like the incar nascar sound) then I just go higher.

Did you watch my vid I took at the track?

its the crappy hpipe....either you get a prochamber with chambered muffs or x pipe with straight through's...those are my favorite two combos.

Right now, until i get the hangers and dumps welded on my new magnaflows I bought, I have to ride around with dumped race bullets, o/r h and bbk shorties on my cobra. Its now the fastest sounding slow car eva!

Blinkstang said:
So I think Im going to switch up to a chambered catback, to mellow the new sound.

I was hoping to get some feedback as to what would be a good choice. Im thinking of going with either the original Magnaflows (not the Maganpacks), the SLP Loudmouth II's, or possibly some Borla Stingers (but kind of pricey). Those are the only ones I could think of that are all stainless steel and offer a chambered muffler. [end quote]

Mac also offers a stainless catback now (which is chambered) or you could possibly order a pair of stainless flowpath mufflers and have them welded, although the muffler shop may have to modify the pipes. I don't know if they have the stainless muffler in a center in/center out setup. :shrug:

Vern said:
Blinkstang said:
So I think Im going to switch up to a chambered catback, to mellow the new sound.

I was hoping to get some feedback as to what would be a good choice. Im thinking of going with either the original Magnaflows (not the Maganpacks), the SLP Loudmouth II's, or possibly some Borla Stingers (but kind of pricey). Those are the only ones I could think of that are all stainless steel and offer a chambered muffler. [end quote]

Mac also offers a stainless catback now (which is chambered) or you could possibly order a pair of stainless flowpath mufflers and have them welded, although the muffler shop may have to modify the pipes. I don't know if they have the stainless muffler in a center in/center out setup. :shrug:

Loudmouth 2's arent chambered. i know bc im looking straight through them right now. but they are of excellent quality and i will let you know how they sound as soon as i install them. got some chit to do first, so give me about 2 hours.

as for the spintech question, ask nickthegenius for a sound clip. or better yet, ill find it and post it here soon.

here it is. spintech sportsmans w/ o/r X.
http://steeleenfobragt.home.insightbb.com/nick.avi

ok, just swapped out the LM1's with the LM2's. big difference! the LM2's sound very muffled compared to the LM1's. i expected this, but not this much. its so much softer and quieter. maybe its bc im used to the Loudmouth 1 that is really LOUD. i dont know.

dont get me wrong, it sounds very good. its clean, and when getting on it, it sounds very mean. just not as mean as the LM1's. im going to give them time to break in, maybe 2 weeks. if by then i'm not satisfied, im ordering the spintech sportsmans.

helty said:
Vern said:
Loudmouth 2's arent chambered. i know bc im looking straight through them right now. but they are of excellent quality and i will let you know how they sound as soon as i install them. got some chit to do first, so give me about 2 hours.

as for the spintech question, ask nickthegenius for a sound clip. or better yet, ill find it and post it here soon.

here it is. spintech sportsmans w/ o/r X.
http://steeleenfobragt.home.insightbb.com/nick.avi

So do you think the traditional Magnaflows would be quieter, seeing as they are chambered versus the straight through design SLP has on the LM II's? And now that you have heard the LM II's on your car, do you think they would mellow out some BBK LT Headers and an O/R H-Pipe? I really want to get rid of this high pitch fart my car likes to make above 3 grand. Its just crazy loud, in a weird way, not muscle.

If anybody lives near IL and wants to trade catbacks, let me know, haha.

Spreadman said:
Have you tried bolting up the ProChamber? I've heard it bolts right up. :shrug:

I talked to a guy on Modular Depot that had MAC Headers and a BBK H Pipe, and he said they didn't match up exactly. He had to heat up the pipe and bang it around a few inches on each side to get it to work. Im afraid of leaks in doing this.