NHRA rules

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
Just wondering if NHRA rules still apply when I'm doing 'friday night test n tune' runs? I want to build up an 11second car to run at the track, but if those rules apply all the time, I probably won't do it because of the 'roll cage rule'.

Also, is 460whp enough to get me to 11s?

• Sponsors (?)

460 can net you 15's if you can't hook or drive :shrug:

I can shift fast enough to get sideways on the 2-3 with my stock GT. This is on dry pavement with treaded tires at 30psi. All it has is Magnapacks and a k&n minus the silencer.

Sorry for the bench racing, but if any of you care enough/are bored enough: with full weight minus the spare tire, 460whp, and stock suspension, how fast will I go in the 1/4?

Everyone gets hung up on the horsepower numbers. You'll be limited by the suspension so I suggest improving that next if you're putting out 460 hp. With aggressive driving, traction, and good air, you should be reallllly close to the 11 sec zone. All you need for 11's is approximately 350 hp in a well set up car. 460 in the same car would be an easy low 11 second car in a perfect scenario.

I can shift fast enough to get sideways on the 2-3 with my stock GT. This is on dry pavement with treaded tires at 30psi. All it has is Magnapacks and a k&n minus the silencer.

you must have really crappy tires.

295/35r18 KDW2's out back and im outlaunching my buddies 06 WRX. I cant chirp 2nd if my life depended on it. Even in the rain the rears are just planted, i had to pop the clutch in 1st to kick the rear end out today.

but yeah, some tracks enforce rules more than others. ours if you run faster than 13.999 you are required to wear a helmet. any convertible running faster than 14.499 are required to have a rollcage (6pt i believe). any coupe faster than 11.49 is required to have a full cage. they get totally anal about any extra "entertainment" equipment. i had a full system in my trunk, guy was giving me **** "on a shift, what if your positive cable pops off and catches fire", me, "umm, thats why they have this thing called a INLINE FUSE! and trust me scooter, if it was gonna pop off, it wouldve done it far before i pulled up here."

needless to say i dont visit the track anymore. that and now the LEO's walk around the staging lanes looking at all the cars who are dumb enough to keep their hoods popped up (sucks for the termie guys icing down after runs), and watch the runs to look for slow cars running fast times (IE a civic in the 12's, yeah, its modded), and they wait outside the gates to pop you as you pull out.

NHRA rules state you need a roll bar from 11.99-11.00

Like Randy said, it all depends on the track and their sanctioning

In my 2007 book it says as of Jan 1st, 2007, they revised the roll bar rule down to 11.49 or quicker now. You are right, it used to be 11.99.

This is what it says:

Roll bar mandatory on any car running 11.49 or quicker; permitted in slower cars. Roll cage mandatory in any car running 9.99 or quicker; permitted in all vehicles.

Driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory on any car running 11.49 or quicker.

it all depends on the track, some are IHRA and some are NHRA and on top of that some tracks are more laxed than others, esp on T/T nights

depending on the car weight, 460hp can get you in the 9's

It also depends if that is rwhp or fwhp and what kind of traction you can get.
Average traction
3700# and 460 fwhp will get you into the 11's
3400# and 460 rwhp will get you into the 10's