Nitrous on 95 5.0 Tips?

tyler6368

May 28, 2023
its a 1995 5.0 GTS its bored and cammed and has previously had a 150shot on the car with the previous owner. It no longer is now that I have it. But I have been thinking about putting another 100-150 shot on it. Is there anything I should do. Or should I just buy the kit, install the hardware and run it? Suggestions? and yes I know for a fact it did have a 150 shot on it previously. Does it need the ecu tuned. I know nothing about nitrous systems this will be my first

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going to run a dry or wet kit? Can you list all of the changes to the car with regards to the motor, air intake, and fuel system? This will keep the suggestions on the right track.

I will say that no matter what you do you will need to move up to a 190 lph pump and I would run an MSD digital box so you can take advantage of the timing retard feature when running nitrous. I would also run a window switch to ensure that the nitrous hits when the throttle is where it needs to be and comes on over a specific rpm. I have other suggestions but would like to see all the mods to the car before going there as they may already be taken care of.

Reactions: 1 users
the bore and cam. Was told by the engine builder he built it for nitrous and then never put nitrous on it and sold the car. I just don't know how much he built it for. Has MSD PLUGS, DISTRIBUTOR, WIRES AND COIL that all I know of.

You need to contact the previous owner and get details on that motor. What’s the compression ratio, what the cam profile (cam card would be nice), what type of head gaskets, what type of pistons, do the head ls have bolts or studs, is the bottom end studded, what’s the compression ratio…you see a pattern here?

You are asking folks for help but providing no info. If I was a tuner you would get sent home as this is like asking if the gun is loaded while pulling the trigger.

Do not take this the wrong way. I just don’t want you to slap a 150 shot on it and loose a running motor. A lot goes into a nitrous tune and you motor is not stock so it’s hard to help.

Another thing, dump the MSD plugs and get Autolite or Motorcraft plugs. If it were me I would toss the MSD plug wires as well and put a set of Ford Racing 9mm wires on it. If your car is injected you may also want to look for a stock distributor and rebuild it. The TFI chipped MSD’s are not very reliable. Carb’d applications I will run them all day long.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
for a 150 shot., I'd just make sure it has a decent fuel pump, some plugs gapped for it maybe add a Hobbs switch for fuel pressure then pull some timing if needed.. Buy or piece together a wet kit... Can run a mild 5.0 on that for years and not hurt a thing. Its not cheap any more though, might want to check nitrous per lb price local. I used to fill my own until air gas became too much of a pita to deal with, now its pretty much $100 to fill a 10lb bottle.

I've been doing nitrous a long time. Shoot with the questions. Stock tuning is fine, but you need to be able to retard the timing. Swap the spark plugs. I have Autolites, but a lot of people use NGKs now. Generally you want to step it up and see how it goes. Start with a 50 shot, see how the engine reacts, and go up slowly.

Kurt

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user