Powerheads Out Of Business?

• Sponsors (?)

:dead: Explorer heads or TW/AFR.. Unless you can see the heads in person, I would spend the extra $$ and buy new alum heads. You will want to have any used heads checked out and often the $200 savings is quickly eaten up at the machine shop.

Canfield used to build some of the baddest heads you could buy, and they went out of business. Sometimes quality is not appreciated in the business.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Canfield used to build some of the baddest heads you could buy, and they went out of business. Sometimes quality is not appreciated in the business.

Kurt
What were the canfileds running? Price vs quality is a tricky line to tow. While not heads i work in a production based business, hamburger buns. We make a ton more of the "dollar menu" buns vs the more expensive. The ratio is like 10:1

I'm sure that had something to do with it. They advertised as not the nickel special head. They used to be real popular, that's how I ended up with my set. Back in the old days there weren't too many medium size heads. They also used to make almost most of the bare castings for other head brands.

Kurt

No, they've been gone for years. It's not the end of the world though. There are plenty of heads available today that are just as good if not better. Trick Flow took an edge on the market because they sold in higher volume with an entry level head and packaged with a lower grade of hardware. Canfield introduced an entry level head but it was too little too late. Also AFR came on the market with Ford heads. They had been making Chevy heads for years, so they already had a head start on equipment and research.

In the 90s there were only a handful of medium heads. You went with either a Canfield, an Edelbrock Victor Jr/Sr or you tracked down an old set of Trick Flow Hi-ports. The Hi-ports flowed awesome, but they were iron. The Canfield flowed better than the Victor Jr, and it was the top choice if you could afford it.

Kurt

Last edited:
The new tfs 190-205cc heads are pretty badass. They have upgraded hardware and flow a ton. Another advantage is the tweak in valve angle giving a little more room for ptv clearance. This is according to woody at ford Strokers. They aren't cheap though going for just under 2k. Overkill for a stock shortblock but perfect for 331-408 builds IMO

I consider that cheap. My Canfields cost me almost $1700 when I bought them in 1999. What's that in today's money?

Kurt
Are we using the inflation rates of gasoline? I remember prices in the .89 cent range in 1999. With gas at 3$ now those heads would have been $5000 some dollars. They always were good performing heads, I'm a firm believer that TFS really has the top product on the market now and will be getting to test the new x11 heads soon !

Reactions: 1 user
I remember paying as high as $1.52/gallon in 1998 for premium. I agree, TFS definitely has the best product now. That twisted wedge design has the edge.

Kurt

Are we using the inflation rates of gasoline? I remember prices in the .89 cent range in 1999. With gas at 3$ now those heads would have been $5000 some dollars. They always were good performing heads, I'm a firm believer that TFS really has the top product on the market now and will be getting to test the new x11 heads soon !

id like to see a test done between the brodix 20RR and a highport TFS

but the baddest of the bad are bluethunders/eddy SC1's

http://www.powerheads.com/e7heads.html
The web site is still alive, I've no called to see if anyone answers the phone.
I made 292rwhp and 325rwtq with powerheads, Tom Moss stock intakes and a small custom hydro roller.
With the small heads, the power was instant at any rpm and the motor worked well withing the stock lifters and stock computers capabilities.
I am confident it would have made over 300/330 with a Cobra/Explorer intake and a little more dyno time.