Rear End De-code ?

• Sponsors (?)

jb89coupe said:
Are you sure 8.8? The bolt pattern has 10 bolts, 2 of them are in the center up and down like the pic's I se of 7.5's. And not in the center from side to side like the pic's of the 8.8. Thanks for your help. I am going to sell this and just don't want to misrepresent it.

bryanrevans said:
86 was first year of 8.8 wich is 10 bolt pattern.Maybe thats not 86???What part of tag lets you know its 2.73
2SL73A887L19 = 2xx73x88xxxx = 2.73, 8.8"
This method is from some website I stumbled on a while back, so I guess there's a chance it's wrong, but it's been right every time I've used it. I'll dig through my favorites folder and see if I can find out what the other stuff means too.

The gear ratio is easy - just rotate the pinion flange and count the ratio of pinion turns to one turn of the axle. So many of these have been modded that I wouldn't trust the part number to indicate the gear ratio that's in the housing anyway. While you're spinning things - rotate one axle and watch the other. If the other axle rotates in the same direction, you've got a working traclok. If the other axle rotates in the opposite direction then you've either got a non-working traclok, or you've got an open diff.

axle decoding courtesy of coldfusion

Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• axletag.jpg
    axletag.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 660