Remanufacted Cobra Crank?

well i plan on having 450-500 whp. but he said it would be best just to have it just because and plus since im gunna have the block apart at the machine shop he said just go ahead and do it now incase i ever wanted to do it later so that i dont end up doing it twice and it would be a money saver in the long run. i just want a nice 450ish daily haha. but i saw the thread and figured id chime in and ask a question i was wondering about.

• Sponsors (?)

[QUOTE='01 Steed]If I were you, I wouldn't go anywhere near a "reman" crank!
Reman'd from what?? You'll never know what the original damage was. It could've been bent, scored, etc.. Chances are, they just turn the main and rod journals down. This means you need bearings for undersized journals, and that means thicker bearings, which means you have more "soft" material between your crank and your rod. I don't like the way that sounds, especially in a high hp application.
If you decide to use one, by all means...get it balanced!!

BTW, you can verify the fact that it's forged by looking at it. It'll have counterweights on either side of the center main journal, where cast cranks do not.[/QUOTE]

and here is your #1 correct answer:) Good Job :nice:

[QUOTE='01 Steed]Thanks Randy! ;) Every once in a while, I say something that actually makes sense, LOL!![/QUOTE]

well you done good, you hit the nail square on the head. could not have said it any better myself:nice: also I question the price of the "Cobra re-maned" crank, new there @$1k and that "parts store" price is more in-line wth a standard 4.6 crank, not a Cobra:nonono: also most parts stores don't have stuff listed correctly ne-way, been down that road before:D

Fact is, unless you are buying an entire rotating assembly, you are going to have to have some machine work done anyway to balance it to your other components. The machine shop will be able to tell you if the crank is good or not. If not, take it back.

mustangman9812 said:
It is A COBRA CRANK. Not a Standard 4.6 CRANK.

And I Quote -
Part No. BP2092 - HTC Crankshaft Reman
8 Bolt Flange Mounting, With Forged Steel Crankshaft.
Forging Number # F8TECE

Un Quote

dude that don't meen squat, unless you got the crank in your hand and see it for yourself. I've been in this business for 30 years and have seen plenty of stuff mis-labeled and plenty of mistakes here and there:nonono:

mustangman9812 said:
It is A COBRA CRANK. Not a Standard 4.6 CRANK.

And I Quote -
Part No. BP2092 - HTC Crankshaft Reman
8 Bolt Flange Mounting, With Forged Steel Crankshaft.
Forging Number # F8TECE

Un Quote

The problem is that a Forged crank's Forging # is F6TE-CE.

Now maybe they just had a hard time reading the "6". I know that that digit is a bit blurry on those forgings.

I'll look some other cranks to see if I can find an F8TE*

Unable to find anything other than the F6TE-CE. It's probably just a misread as I stated above.

Bottom line, none of this changes the fact that you'd be installing a piece of garbage in your nice new build up. That's fine if you're rebuilding a 4 banger Dodge Daytona and you're using it as a grocery getter. But I wouldn't touch one of those with the proverbial 10' pole. ;)

Just remember....no matter which crank you decide to use, you're going to have to have it ballance it to the weights of your new rods and pistons. I found that one out the hard way. :nonono:

....and all 4.6L 2V cranks are the same. They're only specific to their designated Romeo or Windsor flywheel. :)