Replacing ATF fluid in convertible top motor.

2000GTconvert

Jan 14, 2011
I was wondering if there was a proper procedure for this. I read that you need to start with the top down, fill the reservoir, put the top up, fill the reservoir, put plug in motor and then cycle the top a couple times to bleed the air out the system. Is this correct or does it matter how you fill the reservoir?

• Sponsors (?)

Fill to bottom of the hole with ATF fluid. Replace plug. Extend and retract 3 times. Recheck level.

Normally this fluid does not require changing.

>>
Hydraulic System, Lift Cylinder and Motor

Installation

NOTE: Be sure that each fitting is installed in the correct position on the folding top hydraulic component.

NOTE: Make sure that the tetra seal is installed in the bottom of each of the folding top hydraulic cylinder ports before attaching the upper and lower hose fittings.

Install the hydraulic lines using a thread locker onto the lift cylinder.

NOTE: Be sure that each fitting is installed in the correct position on the folding top hydraulic component.

Install the hydraulic lines using a thread locker onto the motor assembly.
Remove the fill plug at the end of the hydraulic pump.

Fill the pump with Mercon® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent to the bottom of the fill hole and install the fill plug.

NOTE: Some noise squeal may be noticed due to the air in the system.

Connect a 12-volt power source to the motor connector and operate the motor until the cylinders are fully extended. Reverse the 12-volt connection to fully retract the cylinders. Repeat this procedure three times.
Remove the fill plug and check the fluid level. Fill the pump with MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent to the bottom of the fill hole.

Install a fill plug.
Install the motor and cylinders as an assembly.
Position the motor assembly.
Connect the motor electrical connector.
Engage the hydraulic line retainers on each side.
Position the lift cylinders and install the nuts.
Install the two cylinder rod mounting bolts.
Install the speakers.
Install the screws.

NOTE: This step applies to vehicles equipped with the Mach sound system.

Install the screw and connect the electrical connectors.
Install the rear seat backrest pad and frame.
Install rear seat cushion pad and frame.
Install the rear quarter trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05 .
Latch the convertible top.

I would ask somebody about top'n it off because you could blow an o'ring seal inside the pump. There is alot of pressure so you need a little room like maybe a quarter inch to a half from the actual bottom of reservoir hole. My opinion....