Progress Thread Shelby's Mustang - project revived after 7 years...

racer_dave

Nov 10, 2015
Hello all, so My daughter and I started this project years ago in a galaxy far, far away... well at least as far as Edwardsburg MI. The original build thread is hosted at the Mustang Forums web page, but decided to post it here too as this page seems to be more active. So, while I'll still post there, I'll be doing the same here. Feel free to chime in, give advise, tell em I'm crazy etc...

Original MF thread here>> https://mustangforums.com/forum/mustang-ii-section/708672-shelby-s-mustang.html

Spun bearings in the racecar engine a few weeks ago- so I parked iot for the season and moved this onto the lift... plain V6 , auto, t-top car. Pretty solid...

20230717_205850.jpg

hatch area stripped, no real surprises here.

20230724_210732.jpg

rhu-rho shaggy... floor boards are more rusty than anticipated...

20230725_184656.jpg

So where does it stand - like this...

5 lug conversion - already have parts- need to install
disk brake conversion - already have parts- need to install
red tail light conversion/sequential - have most parts, need sequencers
engine - 347 stroker- need to build.
Transmission - C4 with shift kit, higher stall converter.- have it, needs painted and installed
exhaust - need headers. (If anyone has Blackjack or hookers I will buy them!!!)
fuel delivery - EFI- need to buy the system, will upgrade the gas tank at that time too. (Want to do this so I have some experience when I get to the 67 fastback)
interior - swapping from tan to black, have 90% of the parts. (anyone want tan parts we can male a deal)
Air Conditioning - yes it has T-Tops, but when its 95 in the summer, I want A/C- will buy an aftermarket kit. Way easier than trying to cob together 40yr old parts...
body - king cobra air dam/spats, mid tuck bumpers. remove the targa band. Will need an aftermarket hood to clear the engine. Spoilers I have. window louvers I have
Wiring - Have wiring kit- will obviously need to rewire. not splicing into 40yr old dry rotted electrical- fire- no thank you.
Paint kind of a rust orange metallic, black stripes.
Wheels- either 15s or 17s, haven't decided. will depend on clearance after I get the suspension mocked up. I've seen some IIs with\ both sizes that I really liked, not sure.

Soooo.... that';s the update. I'll start posting as I get the work going.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

This is the color Shelby and I originally picked out back in 2016. After shooting a test panel, I painted the racecar that color to see how it looked on a whole car. Yeah, I think that works...

20160628_183405.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
I like the coppery burnt orange.
That a fine to do list...for the start.

Looking forward to progress pics on this one!

Spent last weekend in Terre Haute IN and stopped by the mustnag show. I was they guy in the Buffalo BILLS shirt asking all the questions. and Went to the SRX race last night. so haven't had much time to play on the Mustang. So, no new pics right now, got more parts on the way and kept on stripping the interior and engine bay. So for those who are following I have some questions.
  • The new wiring harness has relays for the headlights.- did you keep the heavy duty MII headlight switch or change to something aftermarket?
  • For those that went to fuel injection- since we run a return line did you get rid of the charcoal canister and its hoses?
  • For those who used aftermarket A/C- did you seal up the cowl vent? I was thinking of keeping it somehow for fresh air intake when I want it?
Let me know! thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried responding earlier with my thoughts but for some reason it never posted. I'll try to recall and repeat myself. :rlaugh:

I'm not sure if I'll give the answers you're looking for since it sounds like you're going about your build a lot different then I did mine, but here's my 2 cents.

I kept the original harness so I used the stock switch. Probably absolutely no help here. :shrug:

I've not converted to fuel injection - yet - but I ditched the charcoal canister long ago. When I do eventually jump in I'll probably not replace it, but I think that will most likely depend on what the situation is when I get to that point. So I'd say that it most likely depends on if you're in a strict emissions area they may dictate that it's there, but in all likelihood you probably don't need it. Newer vehicles, like my 15 Ram, have them mounted near the tank vent so having it way up front under the front fender doesn't make much sense anyway.

My car doesn't have AC (I'd like to add it now that I live in the south.... :doh:) - but I think I'd leave the cowl vent. I'd hate to lose the ability to pull in fresh air if/when needed.

Hope this all helps!!

Last edited:
Quick update- sorry no pics :) was making more progress m but the son's ford edge munched the steering rack. so moved the MII to work on it. You have to drop the subframe Boo, hiss :-( and then threw my back out- So, no car time for a couple weeks, then had to take care of business out of town. Hoping to be back on the MII for the long weekend.

Well, I've been super busy, so not much progress other than grabbing up parts. Got a coil over setup for the front through a member here. But here's the part I'm super excited about. Never give upon the search for the elusive hooker headers. I was scoping craigslist and saw a listing for misc ford mustang parts for sale. There was about 15 pics of heads, manifolds, seats, and stuff piled up in an old shop. Lo-and behold there's a beat up hooker box with 6120 scrawled in sharpie on it, behind some seats in one pic.

yup- new old stock- never mounted. Scored them for $200 bucks and about $40 bucks in gas... Life is great!!

Attachments

• 20231116_182834.jpg
    20231116_182834.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Hell Yeah!
Well, I've been super busy, so not much progress other than grabbing up parts. Got a coil over setup for the front through a member here. But here's the part I'm super excited about. Never give upon the search for the elusive hooker headers. I was scoping craigslist and saw a listing for misc ford mustang parts for sale. There was about 15 pics of heads, manifolds, seats, and stuff piled up in an old shop. Lo-and behold there's a beat up hooker box with 6120 scrawled in sharpie on it, behind some seats in one pic.

yup- new old stock- never mounted. Scored them for $200 bucks and about $40 bucks in gas... Life is great!!
That right side header should be easier to install with it being two piece. Good find. A few years ago I saw NOS Blackjack headers on Craigslist and didn't get them because I didn't need them (already have them on the car). Regretted it since.

so why does it have to be split? to clear the motor mount? I plan on making my own motor mounts so I have some flexibility. Would love to get it welded up solid if possible.
It don't have to be but would make it easier to install in a stock setup. Installing my Blackjacks is a real pain in the rear. Things are really tight in a II.