Smoke out of the breather?

• Sponsors (?)

allcarfan said:
still concerned with pulling that air from the valvecovers/crankcase compared to using 'fresh' air.
Any opinions?

Air from the crankcase is filled with junk, fresh air is not. I am sure that crankcase air will help with pollution, but it can not help with combustion.

allcarfan said:
still concerned with pulling that air from the valvecovers/crankcase compared to using 'fresh' air.

Any opinions?
Well the smog pump/PCV system addresses both issues, It pulls the "junk" ( although it's dirty, I've never seen anything that says it's bad for combustion or causes adverse effects from burning it in the motor) from the crankcase and ejects it from the vehicle and pulls a vacuum on the crankcase. I did have a professional engine builder friend that voiced concerns about it pulling too much of the oilmist ( the junk?) out of the crankcase and causing premature piston pin wear, so I installed a vent in one valve cover to ease the vacuum. If I go to the track, I can just pop that vent closed to pull a vaccum. The 5 lbs or so of extra weight doesn't really concern me, if it did I'd go on a diet :lol:

OH well i do have the PCV on the left side of the engine, so i supose becasue this goes to the carb that that is what "sucks" the fumes????? i was messing aroudn the other day and pulled the hose off of the valve cover (while running) and there was quite a bit of smoke, but it looked as if it was presserized as it was getting "pushed "out of the valve cover, the car ran fine with out it????

mustangman70 said:
OH well i do have the PCV on the left side of the engine, so i supose becasue this goes to the carb that that is what "sucks" the fumes????? i was messing aroudn the other day and pulled the hose off of the valve cover (while running) and there was quite a bit of smoke, but it looked as if it was presserized as it was getting "pushed "out of the valve cover, the car ran fine with out it????

The fumes get sucked from either a port in your carb (on Edelbrocks it's the big one on the front between the two vacuum ports) or on a port that you can install on you carb spacer, if you have one. The fumes are under pressure, so they would get "pushed" out. Your carb should have enough vacuum however, to suck them out faster. Some engines, like mine, will run just fine without a PCV, and others (like my buddys Chevelle) will not. Every engine is different. It's still a good idea; however, to have a PCV sytem on your car. The reason for the smoke out the breather could be because your PCV valve is clogged part way, and not letting enough of a fumes out fast enough; or that the port you had it hooked up to has no vacuum or not enough.

-Shaun