Starter blew...I need new lol

my66coupe

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
Arizona fountain hills
My starter blew, it spins with the turn of the key, but doesnt engage the flexplate at all. Upon removal of the inspection plate, there was a nice pile of metal shavings. I was told recently that I should upgrade to a late model starter, for their higher torque capabilties. If so what year starter am I looking at? Any other options? I really dont want to drop 100s of dollars on a high torque mini starter. so lets try and keep it below 100 bucks. Thanks guys

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

the metal shavings were probably just from the plunger not engaging all the way out and grinding on the teeth(normal starter failing problem). I would not say that is indication of needed a high torque starter, unless you have been looking to upgrade anyway. I would think that unless you really want to spend the money, a $25 standard unit will work fine.

if you want the mini hi-torque starter, go to your local parts store and ask for a '93 mustang 5.0 starter. Advance and Auto Zone both offer lifetime warranty units, they are right around $100, but you'll never have to pay for another one.