Street tires vs drag radials

tom2001gt

Founding Member
May 20, 2002
Delran N.J.
I got a set of drag radials and im going to the track for the first time with them tonight. How much time did they take off compared to street tires?
I was going 13.90 at 100mph on street tires so what can I expect tonight?

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

I think 2.0 is good for street tires. That's the best 60ft I've pulled.

I also heard some folks were omly pulling 2.0 60ft's on Drag Radials.

Either way drag radials are better for the track. Make sure you do a nice burnout.

From the feed back I gathered,I think it depends more on the driver.Granted DR's will make a pretty nice difference,your 60 ft times will get better with experience.I have Hoosier Quick time pro's,and hook perfect,but I cant get lower then a 2.0 60ft.! Just gonna keep going to the track :nice:

You mention nothing about gears. Without them, it's going to be tough to cut much better than 1.8 60's. Also, with them being new, they wont hook as well as when you have a few thousand miles on them.

Dont be afraid to drive through the waterbox (or back into it) and do a nice 7 second smoky second gear burnout...afterwhich you should roll out of it until you can feel the tires start to hook, and feel the engine bog.

The difference between street tires and drag radials is like night and day.
treat them like a slick, lower your air pressure down to about 15psi and experiment with tire pressure from there. As said, do a good smokey burn out and try different launch rpm's, every car is different.
Your going to be stoked.

In my experience drag radials are every bit worth it. The work well even in the rain. I changed from 327s to 410s and NITTO D/Rs and my car did not get any faster in the 1320. I went from 2.4 60ft to 1.9s and 2.0s and did not gain 1 tenth at the end. you would think gaining a half second in the first 60 feet, you would really gain some time at the top end BUT I did not and I can drive. Car went 14.20s before and 14.20s after with the tires at 16psi and a healthy white smoke burnout. The 2 valve motor just seems to give up at half track with the 410s. I have been told by many that this is common on 99up cars and that 373s are ideal for the 2 valve cars and the 410s for the 4 valves. Anyway the Nittos will last longer on the street than the BFGs and they are definitely easier to heat up and stick quicker. My 2 cents

they are great on the street. even at a decent PSI they will still stick after a few spins from dead stop without heating up. good in the rain as well for about 10k. If you have the pressure set low for the track and you hit water, WATCH OUT

millhouse nailed it.

don't treat the tires like a *****
you can't be one of those people who thinks every little tire spinage is totally wearing your precious tire tread down.

i've got friends like that, and to me....there is no point in even having a car that sees track use if you're like that..

lower the pressure down pretty far, 12-14psi....
do a killer burnout, in water, and spin them on the way out of the water, ensuring all water is gone, plus you can feel it hook as it hits the dry, and bog....like millhouse said.

then stage, and do some 5k dumps!