Supercharging the Cobra

flygilmore

Mar 31, 2005
I have always wanted a supercharged mustang so why the freak not go for it??

Here it is: I have a 95 Cobra- 3.73's, MAC CAI, MAC Off road H, American Thunder Cat. All else is completely stock-the car has 33K on it.

Where do I begin with my endless questions???
I know that I want a Vortech charger and I want it to be heard too! I don't want the super quiet version. I was looking at cjponyparts.comat their vortech's. item number 4FG218-020S (94-95 S trim satin) list $2,495.95. Is this what I should be looking at and is the price about right and will this item be around a while (seems like the SQ version is very popular)?

Also, other than the kit listed above, what all else am I looking at in terms of installation/operation?

Will my stock trans hold up under this boost ( I assume 8psi)

Thanks alot guys for any and all input. This will be a long hard project (gotta save by working a part time job in the evenings over the next few months) to make this purchase but I want it bad!!!!! and I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions

I want that supercharged whine :D

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats and welcome to Stangnet.

WARNING: If you install the Vortech, you will want to continue modding (fuel system to ditch the FMU, etc)

Im assuming that price is the kit, which IS enough to "get by" on. The stock T-5 will probably not hold up too long, depending on how you drive. The Stock AODE's hold up pretty well.

Yes, the SQ is the way to go. Make sure you dont want to start blinging the motor...if you think you may, then spend the extra for the polished blower.
Good Luck!
RC

I'm biased towards the Kenne Bell blowers, but, you'll enjoy your Vortech. Like RC said, transmission depends on your driving.....mine is holding up fine.About the whine, I was at a stop light the other day, guy next to me was looking at my car kinda funny, "Is that a Supercharged?" It made me smile....may want to factor in some gauges (fuel press./boost) and a mount....Good Luck Man

if you get the aftercooler (recommended) then expect aroun 11# boost. You will definitely need to upgrade the fuel system, I found this out when on the dyno...my A/F ratio went lean at 5500 rpms... stock injectors and in-tank pump couldn't keep up. then you have to get a new MAF and a real chip. I ditched my Vortech Superchips, went with Diablo, but hindsite (still having some idling issues) I would've got the SCT Pro Tuner kit (~$800) and tuned it myself.
Good luck. whatever you do, DO IT! IT'S WELL WORTH IT!

i also have some questions concerning Vortech's...i actually got a call today from my old man about an acquaintance of his selling an intercooled Vortech S Trim for a very very reasonable price so i might jump on it. i haven't found out details yet, but if it turns out to be a 86-93 kit, is there any way i can make it fit??? what will i need (if anyone knows...?) to make it fit a '95? anyways, i hope it's the '94-'95 kit, but i'm not holding my breath.