Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Things have been a mess lately around the house.
I got sent out of town for a month to clean up a project, I have my own house torn apart, and I can finally announce that the wife and are are adding a little one to the family.
In between all of this mess, I decided in some alternate reality that it was a great idea to repaint the truck. (???). @Boosted92LX came by the house this weekend and talked some sense into me.
I'm abandoning the truck malarchy and getting the mustang back on the road. Last night, I started tearing down the new motor and am taking it to the machine shop for a hone and some other stuff to ensure it's put together right and is going to last a little while.

So, while there are no photos at the moment, I assure you, the ship is righted, the fox is back in the garage, and we're moving forward!
Finally, somebody talking about cars in this place.:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I figured it's time to fix it or sell it. If it isn't running by mid february, it's not gonna happen for a looooong time. How soon can you train kids to turn wrenches, anyway?
Congrats on that...Be advised from somebody who's been there:
The Black and white Zep in my Avatar was "the car in the garage" when # 1 son was born. 26 years ago.
The "responsible guy" in me said that the time for playing was over, and that I needed to sell off my diversions, and focus on being a dad. So the "Hurricane" got sold.

6 months after he was born, I realized that the only thing that had really changed was that my garage was empty.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on that...Be advised from somebody who's been there:
The Black and white Zep in my Avatar was "the car in the garage" when # 1 son was born. 26 years ago.
The "responsible guy" in me said that the time for playing was over, and that I needed to sell off my diversions, and focus on being a dad. So the "Hurricane" got sold.

6 months after he was born, I realized that the only thing that had really changed was that my garage was empty.
I've had seller's remorse enough times now to know that I have no business selling this car. So there's that.

Reactions: 4 users
I think a lot of people's reactions to having a first child is that they need to sacrifice their toys and passion projects when in reality the biggest thing that changes is that they (your children) will be and always will be your #1 priority for time and money spent. It does not mean that you have to do without the other things but they will be harder to focus on for a while. Get the large things out of the way now before your son/daughter is born and you'll be glad you did. Also, like Pringles, you can't have just one!! lol

Congrats Collin to you and your growing family. Children make life better in so many ways and you can have your cake and eat it too like myself and many others do.

IMG_1998.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
I think a lot of people's reactions to having a first child is that they need to sacrifice their toys and passion projects when in reality the biggest thing that changes is that they (your children) will be and always will be your #1 priority for time and money spent. It does not mean that you have to do without the other things but they will be harder to focus on for a while. Get the large things out of the way now before your son/daughter is born and you'll be glad you did. Also, like Pringles, you can't have just one!! lol

Congrats Collin to you and your growing family. Children make life better in so many ways and you can have your cake and eat it too like myself and many others do.

IMG_1998.JPG
Great insight, thank you!

IMG_1998.JPG

Agreed! My mustang has always been paid for and the worse it can do is sit in the garage. The only way it will ever sell is if I can't put food on the table, literally. There are thin times when i cannot spend on it, but there have been plenty of times that I can.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My block is at the machine shop as of Saturday morning, although I don't have high hopes. The cylinders were pretty rusty. I do have a plan B and C, with each option getting more expensive than the last.

Reactions: 3 users
My block is at the machine shop as of Saturday morning, although I don't have high hopes. The cylinders were pretty rusty. I do have a plan B and C, with each option getting more expensive than the last.
Meh,....351w blocks are plentiful enough,..or you could always be like Mike and sleeve all 8 holes,..(although the price to do that would easily eclipse the price of a new, bare block)

I'm sitting here trying to figure out plans B & C based on what I would do...

B= Get different block have it re-machined.
C= Get new pistons, Bore existing block to accommodate.

A 351 w/ a 040 over bore shouldn't be a problem.,..but then again the "get a different block and start over" keeps coming back around then.

I'd say B.

Reactions: 1 user
^ less timing for pump gas I think is where we landed on causes.

I'm also switching to a turbo with a larger turbine to alleviate back pressure and boost creep.
Why are you doing this again?.....You didn't even have the car running to the "it's tuned" stage yet..How do you know that you had "back pressure, and boost creep" issues? IIRC you had it running,..You wailed on it and it blew the charge pipe a block away, then You wailed on it again and it hammered the bearings out of it. A larger turbine will be slower to spool (unless the existing one is somehow past it's efficiency curve at whatever RPM you're running this at)
Change only needs to occur as it reveals itself to be a problem,...Get the thing running again..then fix the junk that pops up after you know it needs it.

Like:

Bad wastegates.
Poor fuel system routing.
Un finished EBC tuning settings.
Junk fuel Pump.

Do it right the first time, that's my motto.

Then do it over and over, and over............:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Meh,....351w blocks are plentiful enough,..or you could always be like Mike and sleeve all 8 holes,..(although the price to do that would easily eclipse the price of a new, bare block)

I'm sitting here trying to figure out plans B & C based on what I would do...

B= Get different block have it re-machined.
C= Get new pistons, Bore existing block to accommodate.

A 351 w/ a 040 over bore shouldn't be a problem.,..but then again the "get a different block and start over" keeps coming back around then.

I'd say B.

Pretty much. I have a set of .030 and .040 pistons now, as well as 2 cranks. If this block wont take the hone, I know where a potentially cheap block is and if that doesnt pan out, there's one on CL locally for $400 which is $150 more than I'd pay.

Why are you doing this again?.....You didn't even have the car running to the "it's tuned" stage yet..How do you know that you had "back pressure, and boost creep" issues? IIRC you had it running,..You wailed on it and it blew the charge pipe a block away, then You wailed on it again and it hammered the bearings out of it. A larger turbine will be slower to spool (unless the existing one is somehow past it's efficiency curve at whatever RPM you're running this at)
Change only needs to occur as it reveals itself to be a problem,...Get the thing running again..then fix the junk that pops up after you know it needs it.

Like:

Bad wastegates.
Poor fuel system routing.
Un finished EBC tuning settings.
Junk fuel Pump.

Do it right the first time, that's my motto.

Then do it over and over, and over............:rolleyes:
Well, yes... and no. I have many many datalogs showing the boost hold steady at 6lbs til 3500-4k rpms and then increase with RPM. Is it a shtty waste gate? might be. On the turbo forums, a few of the guys whose opinions I trust said that the small 65mm turbine was going to cause issues on the 351, so I'm going to start there. The turbo I'm after is the same price if not cheaper than a good WG.

Plus... I sold the smaller turbo months ago, so I gotta buy one anyway :)

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much. I have a set of .030 and .040 pistons now, as well as 2 cranks. If this block wont take the hone, I know where a potentially cheap block is and if that doesnt pan out, there's one on CL locally for $400 which is $150 more than I'd pay.

Well, yes... and no. I have many many datalogs showing the boost hold steady at 6lbs til 3500-4k rpms and then increase with RPM. Is it a shtty waste gate? might be. On the turbo forums, a few of the guys whose opinions I trust said that the small 65mm turbine was going to cause issues on the 351, so I'm going to start there. The turbo I'm after is the same price if not cheaper than a good WG.

Plus... I sold the smaller turbo months ago, so I gotta buy one anyway :)

Soooo...add a 3.850 crank in while your at it :stick: :p

Soooo...add a 3.850 crank in while your at it :stick: :p
Talk to Reed at Work turbo in Pelham Al.
That guy talked to me for an hour when I bought the current BW SX300....recommended a specific AR turbine wheel, and built it according to his recommendation.

What I got in the end is a turbo that spools at part throttle, and is completely at full boost at 2500 RPM...

Not saying that you gotta buy anything from him, that'll be up to you. But considering that I knew nothing about it when I went into his shop, and I have such a perfect working combo now, It'd be worth the time spent on the phone.

Reactions: 1 user