The New Prince of Performance

Hello All:

This is my first post to this forum and wanted to say hey to everyone! I am very excited to be living in these days of the dawn of the 4.0 V6 performance mustang. I have been reading the posts that have been coming out of here for a while now and I am really geeked about the potential that my (our) '05+ V6 Stangs are capable of !!!!!

I have been a mustang fanatic since about 1991 when I acquired my first steed (a '91 Titanium 5.0 LX AOD) in which I put on Cobra GT40 heads, Cobra Intake, 65-mm TB, 1.7 roller rockers, C&L MAS, B&M shift kit, Flowmaster 3-chamber and a 3.73. Needless to say it rocked my world and was hooked!

I have since owned an '89 blue-silver GT 5-spd convert. and currently own an '88 Silver hardtop LX 5.0 5-spd (about 375 hp) which I am currently redoing as it was rough when I picked it up and Ebay keeps me smiling.

My recent acquisition is this here '05 Redfire V6 Mustang that I have absolutely fallen in love with so much that it makes my wife jealous (LOL).

I know I am getting exhaustive here (LOL) but because this is my first post I want you all to know why I had decided to trade in my '01 black GT 5-spd (which romped) for the new S197 V6.

One day recently I was reading a new magazine (Mustang Enthusiast) I had picked up and I read an article by the Editorial Director by the name of Rob Reaser about how he felt that the new '05+ V6's were going to be the 'new prince of performance'.

If you will allow me please let me quote what he said that totally blew me out of the water:

"Unfortunately, too many enthusiasts have looked upon the six-cylinder Mustangs as "useful idiots" - a car that was necessary to keep the nameplate going, "but, please, don't be hanging around us or pretend to be an equal". Snobbery at its finest. Now, let's consider something. In 1985 the GT was rated at 210 horsepower (a significant jump upwards from the 165 hp 5.0L of 1984). The following year horsepower increased to 225 hp, an this represented the highwater mark for the entire Fox era. As we all know, the 5.0L is the most celebrated and thoroughly explored powermill in Ford history. It helped the Mustang win the Ford vs. GM ponycar wars, and launched an aftermarket segment the likes of which we've never seen before. With choice bolt-on components and intelligent tuning strategies, that 225 hp V-8 served as the foundation for some of the fastest gasoline-powered cars in history. With that in mind, consider also the current V-6 Mustang. Displacement is a scant 0.6 liters less than its V-8 counterpart, and the current base Mustang is rated at 210 horsepower. Folks, that's right on par with the most famed Mustang GT engine of all time. Knock the 2005 V-6 for its power output and you're simultaneously slamming the lauded 5.0L. Herein lies hypocrisy. I say all of this as a preface to a prediction: The dawn of the V-6 performance Mustang is nigh. Today this engine stands on a platform high enough that it can jump into the WOW! realm rather quickly. Already I've talked to a few aftermarket manufacturers who are eyeballing the V-6 pony for development of not only choice speed parts, but also comprehensive performance packages. And the whispered word amongst these forward thinkers is "turbocharger". Why not? In fact, how could the aftermarket not afford not to look in this direction? Mustangs are flying off of dealer lots. New enthusiasts are being made daily with the flourish of pen on payment contract, and it's not only GTs which are selling. As of this writing the V-6 coupe is $5,925 under the cost of a base GT coupe. Then there is the massive insurance differential between the two cars, which is of significant importance for younger buyers. In two to three years there will be scads of pre-owned fifth-gen V-6 ponies for sale, and all with strong engines primed for a few performance mods. The companies who develop high-performance parts for these cars today will reap the rewards, and V-6 owners will also win - particularly those of the younger generation who may otherwise be attracted to the price and performance packages found in many of today's import models. The V-8 will always be king of the horsepower realm, but the NEW PRINCE OF PERFORMANCE is about to have its day. Remember, you heard it here first."

That article convinced me that this is the new "5.0" and I wanted to be on this new wave. Before I purchased my new steed I looked at it real closely. I looked at the new GT. I found out that this new little thoroughbred would be easy to work on (unlike its new modular V8 brethren) and would allow me to change spark plugs, install headers, new heads and intake without so much as a whimper. I could perform just about every mod I could think of (minus the rear gears) without having to take it in to be worked on. I thought the masses (and aftermarket) would really be crazy not to give this potential sleeper a try and for me this Prince will be King!

This mustang-head is convinced that this 4.0 has unlimited potential and will be the new mustang performance motor, even if we will hear cries from the V8 crowd about how we are not worthy, it only gives me more reason to prove them wrong! Thanks for hearing me rant and hope I didn't go on too long as I almost feel like preaching, but I know here it would be to the choir eh? (LOL) :D

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome MCMustangMan!! Welcome to the club man.. We will have lots of fun, and you were right to buy the 05V6 this time around.. I promise you wont be dissapointed.. :nice:

The first thing I plan to do is to open up the intake (waiting to see what C&L comes up with) and exhaust (probably Flowmasters) to make it more efficient. Then, gears (probably the 3.73) and a limited slip will be in the works. I really like the 8.8 rearend and might be what I go for to make it bulletproof. After that I will have to assess what aftermarket parts have come into being and then will go from there. I really do wish that a worthy short throw shifter would come out for us as the stock one really hurts when I miss a shift and feels like mixing a stick around in a bag of marshmallows. I am sure I was spoiled with my B&M short throw in my '01 GT. I must admit the supercharger idea is very intriguing and is a great possibility for me as that would be the quickest way to achieve my goal. The way I see it by the time my 3 year/36,000 warranty expires (or close to it) I should be ready for some huffing and puffing and to blow away some unsuspecting GTO, lightning, rice burner, etc.!

MCMustangMan said:
The first thing I plan to do is to open up the intake (waiting to see what C&L comes up with) and exhaust (probably Flowmasters) to make it more efficient. Then, gears (probably the 3.73) and a limited slip will be in the works. I really like the 8.8 rearend and might be what I go for to make it bulletproof. After that I will have to assess what aftermarket parts have come into being and then will go from there. I really do wish that a worthy short throw shifter would come out for us as the stock one really hurts when I miss a shift and feels like mixing a stick around in a bag of marshmallows. I am sure I was spoiled with my B&M short throw in my '01 GT. I must admit the supercharger idea is very intriguing and is a great possibility for me as that would be the quickest way to achieve my goal. The way I see it by the time my 3 year/36,000 warranty expires (or close to it) I should be ready for some huffing and puffing and to blow away some unsuspecting GTO, lightning, rice burner, etc.!

I'll be waiting . . . :nice:

Welcome to SN!

Doc GTO said:
I'll be waiting . . . :nice:

Welcome to SN!

Hey whats up DOC! Please oh please DOC, nextime you go to the track, see if you can find some V6's you can run against.. Making sure they atleast have the Nitro kit.. I would love your opinion about the run against it.. Of course, anything below a 150SHOT wont concern you.. But if you can find one with the 150Shot enabled, please make a video, and have a feedback section... The GTO packs one hell of a punch, and win or lose, the video and opinion would be invaluable to us! :nice:

Mods to the V6

I am hoping wiser heads than mine can evaluate the following mods that I plan on putting on my V6. It is the 2006 Pony Package, so it has the GT supsension and all of the bells and whistles.

Here is what I am planning (and no, I am not a GT wannabe!!):

Performance

High Flow Intake Kit w/MMR High Flow Tube
JBA Cat4ward Silver Ceramic Shorty Headers
JBA True Dual Exhaust
Super Chips Custom Tuning XCalibrator 2 Flash Tool
Dyno Tune

Looks

Quarter Louvers for the rear windows
GT Rear Valance (to acocmodate the dual exhaust)

All of that will run about $3K and should improve the already great performance. There is a lot more power in that 4.0L than is currently being harnassed, and I cannot wait until she can breath a little easier. The tune and flasher should help, too!

Let me know what you think.

P.S. After Warranty expiration, it will be supercharge time! Till then, I have to stick to the basics.

Excepcion13 said:
I am hoping wiser heads than mine can evaluate the following mods that I plan on putting on my V6. It is the 2006 Pony Package, so it has the GT supsension and all of the bells and whistles.

Here is what I am planning (and no, I am not a GT wannabe!!):

Performance

High Flow Intake Kit w/MMR High Flow Tube
JBA Cat4ward Silver Ceramic Shorty Headers
JBA True Dual Exhaust
Super Chips Custom Tuning XCalibrator 2 Flash Tool
Dyno Tune

Looks

Quarter Louvers for the rear windows
GT Rear Valance (to acocmodate the dual exhaust)

All of that will run about $3K and should improve the already great performance. There is a lot more power in that 4.0L than is currently being harnassed, and I cannot wait until she can breath a little easier. The tune and flasher should help, too!

Let me know what you think.

P.S. After Warranty expiration, it will be supercharge time! Till then, I have to stick to the basics.

Sounds like a winner to me.. I didnt even know the Pony package had the GT suspension.. LOL! Thanks for the heads up! I thought it was just a few visual upgrades.. Wow, that should be pretty hot.. As it is already, my V6 feels pretty stiff.. With my 255's on all four wells of the car, I can stick and move quite efficiently.. So I would imagine the 06 Pony is a sight to behold on a track of some sort..

The mods you have mentioned look real good.. Of course, I dont have the patience to wait until the warranty is up to start my mission. LOL! I'm already running late.. As you have noticed, a few guys here have a serious headstart on me.. But I'll catch up..

But glad you have confidence in the car.. I have come from a line of Mustangs, which served me well in the past.. I, like you feel something is really hidden in these V6's.. Some of it has been brought to light recently by a few brave souls.. They know who they are.. Now we have another member with a zest for adventure, and a passion for the V6, which will be of the Pony variety.. Looks like we are slowly starting to round out the stables for sure.. I would imagine in 1 yrs . time, alot more developments will be unveiled, and alot of the hidden potential you speak of will come to light.. All we can do is wait.. Thus far, there has been no mention of anyone blowing their engine.. Which is a good sign.. So I say, until then, dont hold back.. We will find our limit at somepoint.. We thought it would be around 300RWHP.. But thats not it.. So we are now looking towards 400RWHP.. This is our new goal guys.. The train for 300RWHP has left the station, and the next one wont arrive until 400RWHP.. LOL!!

You have your goals... 300RWHP is no longer an impressive number, so dont feel bad if there is no excitement when you reach it.. Keep going! :D

Well, not sure if it EXACTLY the same as the GT, but basically it has " a larger front stabilizer bar, a rear stabilizer bar, and P235/55ZR 17-inch tires.." and it sticks to curves like velcro!!! I LOVE those really windy on-ramps, as I can get a good head of steam and just cling to the inside curve. Still getting the feel of her, though (I have had her less than a week). She is the fastest car I have ever had, and apart from a slight hesitation (which I hear can be lost with a good tune), she screams!! As far as the patience....we will see! I am sure that when I open up her nostrils and lungs I will want to see what she can really do. And I am waiting for the day some unsuspecting V8 revs their engine at my little lady.... One supercharger away from humility...

And talk about turning heads!!! When I was finishing up at the dealership, these girls drove up and were catcalling and screaming. Then my girl got out of the passeneger side (6' blonde from Finalnd--ultimate accessory!!) and they apologized and drove off!!!

As far as mods are concernered; I will get a high performance pimped out car for $3-4 K less than a GT and with a break on insurance and MPGs. Can't beat that... But hey, the redneck in me screams 'V8 or die, baby!!' But "I-I-I-I I'm still alive!!'

Excepcion13 said:
Well, not sure if it EXACTLY the same as the GT, but basically it has " a larger front stabilizer bar, a rear stabilizer bar, and P235/55ZR 17-inch tires.." and it sticks to curves like velcro!!! I LOVE those really windy on-ramps, as I can get a good head of steam and just cling to the inside curve. Still getting the feel of her, though (I have had her less than a week). She is the fastest car I have ever had, and apart from a slight hesitation (which I hear can be lost with a good tune), she screams!! As far as the patience....we will see! I am sure that when I open up her nostrils and lungs I will want to see what she can really do. And I am waiting for the day some unsuspecting V8 revs their engine at my little lady.... One supercharger away from humility...

And talk about turning heads!!! When I was finishing up at the dealership, these girls drove up and were catcalling and screaming. Then my girl got out of the passeneger side (6' blonde from Finalnd--ultimate accessory!!) and they apologized and drove off!!!

As far as mods are concernered; I will get a high performance pimped out car for $3-4 K less than a GT and with a break on insurance and MPGs. Can't beat that... But hey, the redneck in me screams 'V8 or die, baby!!' But "I-I-I-I I'm still alive!!'

Well put Excepcion13!! We need more guys like you around.. You have just as much hope as I do for the V6's.. Lord knows we are still pretty much a fringe group of guys with faith in the 05-06 V6's.. not many of us around really.. But we dont need overwhelming numbers to make a statement.. All we need are a few good men, and we can get the point across.. So again, I am glad you decided to join us here.. Sometimes I must go out on a limb by myself to get the point across, and I end up getting bitter emails... So if something should happen to me, because I will not back down from a skirmish which tends to belittle or bash the V6's, take my spot and carry the torch..

That goes for Scrming, Jimp, and Fazm83 as well.. Should i meet an untimely death at this website, hold the torch for me.. :nice:

Stranger Things

Remember, everybody thought that Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes was crazy when he had this whacked out theory that doctors washing their hands before assisting in childbirth would decrease infant mortality rates... He was basically laughed out of the building... In other words, just because the masses might scoff does not mean we are wrong. I have faith that with time, effort, and love, My Little Pony will be the Seabiscuit that beats the War Admiral every time.... When I am done with my little girl, the only thing I will fear is the '07 Shelby....

We've got your back, MSP. The torch will not fall; the flame will not falter...