The T Top 4eye I Didn't Want But I Had To

• Sponsors (?)

I most likely will run some simple 5 spoke wheels, depending on what I can find, I of course prefer the 98 Cobra wheels :)

I know MM says 96+ spindles are bad but the yard has 3 complete 96+ cars sitting in it now so I will try to grab the complete hub/spindle assembly.

Now the rear I know I should be able to find some Ranger axles, not clear what rear brake parts I should snag, I think I will grab the rear brakes, calipers, disk, brackets from the same 96+ cars I am pulling the fronts off of.

This project is in no way high priority or on a time frame.

Hell I should grab a dual hump trans cross member too!

Reactions: 1 users
Now the rear I know I should be able to find some Ranger axles, not clear what rear brake parts I should snag, I think I will grab the rear brakes, calipers, disk, brackets from the same 96+ cars I am pulling the fronts off of.
!

Other than the axles and brakes lines, all 94-04 mustang GT/V6s have the same rear disk brakes, so just snag everything that bolts it to the axle. Also grab the brackets that secure the e brake cable to the lower control arm.

If you are going to run the 98 cobras or any SN95 17x8 wheel, id grab and run a set of 96-98 SN95 axles. Those 17x8s on ranger axles just look very sucked in. SN95 axles fill the wells better. I have pics of both setups on my car if you'd like to see difference

If planning a 17x9 or bigger, disregard that last bit

You can also use passenger side Aerostar axles if you can't find any ranger axles. I used them when I converted my '86 GT years ago. Every Ranger had already been picked.

Since the 85 has 7.5 stock in it I should just get the entire 8.8 out of the 96. I think the axle housings are the same width and in my instance the extra axle length will make the 8" wheels fill the wheel wells better. Right?

Since the 85 has 7.5 stock in it I should just get the entire 8.8 out of the 96. I think the axle housings are the same width and in my instance the extra axle length will make the 8" wheels fill the wheel wells better. Right?

Yup. 86-98 8.8 housings are the same. Only difference was the brakes. So if you see a 96-98 GT, you can take the entire axle. 99+ GT, the housings are wider, you don't want these, or even the axle shafts from them.

Here's how my rear tire sits with SN95 axles, sn 17x8 wheels, and 255/45/17 tires

IMG_1426.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Cool I would image the brakes and brackets are the same also, please correct me if that is wrong.

1996 V6
Spindles
rear axles
rear brakes, brackets,
parking brake handle and cables

2002 v6
front brakes, disks,

am I missing anything ? these cars were pretty complete last time I was there, ( 2weeks ago )

Cool I would image the brakes and brackets are the same also, please correct me if that is wrong.

1996 V6
Spindles
rear axles
rear brakes, brackets,
parking brake handle and cables

2002 v6
front brakes, disks,

am I missing anything ? these cars were pretty complete last time I was there, ( 2weeks ago )

Pass on the cables. They are useless unless you want to crawl under the car and cut off the mount in the trans tunnel and weld it into the '85. Otherwise, you'll want the FMS cables instead. The handle you can grab if you want, but no real advantage over yours. Ford actually has a TSB to disable the adjustment pawl on the later manual mustangs because it would fail. Figure you still need to do the spot weld on the handle anyway to be safe, or simply get the late model handle if you think it looks better. DO grab the cable guides secured to the rear swap bar mount though.

If there is a 99+ V6 there, snag the booster as well, if it's rust free. A lot of times the MC leaks into the booster and renders them junk. You can ell by the rust trail on the front of them out of the back of the MC. The master cylinder can also be used (it's a 1.00" bore), but the fittins changes slightly so it's not a direct bolt in. A 1993 cobra booster and MC would be an easier install, but more expensive obviously.

Out back, the brakes are the same on the V6 as a GT. Snag the anti-moan brackets as well.

If the rear brake rotors/calipers are in better shape on the 2002 V6, you could use those instead. Since you'll need to pull the axles out of the 96 rear, you can use the hardware from that car.