The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

Let me guess: you wan't destroy your transmission by turbocharging either your old engine or your new engine?! :jester:

The engine bay is made for reverse installed manifolds/headers and a turbocharger…
my_cars_043_2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Seems like I've chatted with the owner of that car at some point somewhere. He's from Dubuque and I looked at a red King in Dubuque before I moved here from Iowa. I don't remember where I chatted with him - I think it was probably one of the Facebook groups before I left them.

I'm not, on either count.

The MSD Atomic is going on Ebay when the 308 comes out of the car. I see zero point in putting any more time or money into the old pushrod powerplant at this point. I'm going to fiddle with the idle speed screws and unplug the IAC tomorrow and get it running again (assuming my working theory is right) and run it like that the whopping 1-2 times a month I drive the rusty old thing until the 4.6 is ready.
I... may have fibbed here.

You see, I went to all the trouble of finding my old Edelbrock carburetor... and ordered that nice new Carter fuel pump... and have a handful of 12-volt, 30-amp relays laying around, and even though the MSD Atomic is currently working in it's gimped state without an IAC, a failure is why it's in such a state, and there's no telling if it will fail further...

I think I may waste a few hours at the shop either tomorrow or Saturday stripping the EFI system from the car and throwing the carburetor back on. THEN I'll be done with the 308 until it's pulled from the car.

Screenshot_2019-02-02-18-44-08.png

[/QUOTE]

Also... this is the problem with this damned 4.6... It look SO DAMNED GOOD with a carburetor, and SO DAMNED GOOD with the Mark VIII manifold that it makes coming to a permanent decision regarding the induction rather difficult.

(I could also just be losing my mind...)

Last edited:
What is the concern with switching to carb?
For the 308, nothing. It's a bolt-on affair. I've just been reluctant to do it.

For the 4.6... price. The manifold is $700, the adapters to make it fit my "B" heads are $400, and the MSD ignition system to run the thing is $450. For that much money I can go full-blown MS3 instead of my tentative plans to use a Microsquirt and EDIS8. Add the fact that I'm not keen on using anything MSD ever the hell again after their EFI system was such a phenomenal pile of :poo:, and you get to the root of my hesitation to go carbureted on the 4.6 4V. Unfortunately MSD makes the only two solutions for firing the ignition system with a carburetor.

Well... The 4.6 project sounds to me like it's a Frankenstein's monster full of parts that [should] work but will likely fail, leak, or cause more maintenance related issues.

Straight forward does sound awfully nice.

I dunno what all is required for the conversion but I'm surprised that Pertronix doesn't have a solution.
They specialize in points-to-electronic in distributors. On the 4.6, there is no distributor. My choices are a Ford OEM computer with PATS deleted and a tune, one of the MS family of ECUs with or without an EDIS-8 module from an early 4.6 to drive the coils, or to go carbureted using the MSD MOD-6 ignition system or an MSD distributor grafted to a custom-made timing cover so that it can be driven by one of the camshafts.

As much as I like the look of the Lincoln Mark VIII intake, and the fact that I have the original harness to cut up and modify, I'm leaning heavily towards going with an Microsquirt with EDIS-8 to run the thing with EFI. It'll give me a super clean installation with most of the wiring hidden, be batch-fired port injection instead of TBI like I have with the 308, and I'll leave the 4.6 stock until it's turbo time. That stock 4.6 will make about the same power as the 308 that's in it, with far better street manners.

Reactions: 1 users
They specialize in points-to-electronic in distributors. On the 4.6, there is no distributor. My choices are a Ford OEM computer with PATS deleted and a tune, one of the MS family of ECUs with or without an EDIS-8 module from an early 4.6 to drive the coils, or to go carbureted using the MSD MOD-6 ignition system or an MSD distributor grafted to a custom-made timing cover so that it can be driven by one of the camshafts.

As much as I like the look of the Lincoln Mark VIII intake, and the fact that I have the original harness to cut up and modify, I'm leaning heavily towards going with an Microsquirt with EDIS-8 to run the thing with EFI. It'll give me a super clean installation with most of the wiring hidden, be batch-fired port injection instead of TBI like I have with the 308, and I'll leave the 4.6 stock until it's turbo time. That stock 4.6 will make about the same power as the 308 that's in it, with far better street manners.
The red car had a 2v 4.6 that has a carb on it. I used that goofy assed MSD controller to run the coils. It all worked like it’s sposed to, and was really easy to set up, but you ain’t running no carb no mo. Yesterday, while I was at wits end with Steve, I told him that if it wasn’t for the VVTi, I’d ditch that cam sensor, and the freakin VVT, get an EDIS6, and convert the thing over to batch fired wasted spark, and ditch all of the BS finicky hall/VR sensor sync loss.

life was much simpler then..Now I gotta dwell in ricer hell.

The red car had a 2v 4.6 that has a carb on it. I used that goofy assed MSD controller to run the coils. It all worked like it’s sposed to, and was really easy to set up, but you ain’t running no carb no mo. Yesterday, while I was at wits end with Steve, I told him that if it wasn’t for the VVTi, I’d ditch that cam sensor, and the freakin VVT, get an EDIS6, and convert the thing over to batch fired wasted spark, and ditch all of the BS finicky hall/VR sensor sync loss.

life was much simpler then..Now I gotta dwell in ricer hell.
When I was still entertaining the idea of doing something with that MSD TBI system, I actually talked to him about using a Microsquirt to run it, and I almost went that route with either engine. The Mark VIII engine has no VVT, and the IMCR can simply be deleted, so I'm looking at a Microsquirt/EDIS-8 batch fire and waste spark setup myself at this point as the leading candidate.

I like this idea. Nothing says you can't mimic the 'look' you were attracted to on the carb setup.
That's actually VERY easily done. A few pages back I brainstormed a feaux dual quad setup for a 302. That same Dodge truck throttle body would make it easy. The manifold still costs $700, but those throttle bodies are $20 each all day long at the boneyard.

So the injectors are on their way, the parts list is compiled, and all of the cosmetics are figured out.

And nothing else is going to happen for a bit. I started feeling sick late Friday night, and by Saturday morning felt like death would be preferable to breathing. I did an online consult with a doctor who sent me for COVID testing, and I'm awaiting the results. A few hours later, my mother, who had insisted earlier in the week that she just "had allergies" and only went to the doctor because my sister and I both insisted, got the results of her COVID test back, and it's positive. I have zero doubt at this point mine will be as well, so I can't work (nor access my 4.6, which is sitting next to my toolbox at work) for at least the next week or so.

Allright, enough of that depressing :poo:.

Here's the list of parts I need to acquire to make the 4.6 run, and hopefully make it fit with relative ease:

Lincoln Continental oil pan and pickup tube
Microsquirt
Ford EDIS-8
1999+ 4v valve covers
1999+ 4v COPs
GM 3-bar MAP sensor
Lincoln Continental forward exhaust manifold
MMR IMRC delete plates
Mark VIII air intake
Flywheel
Clutch set
SFI-approved balancer
TR3650 rebuild kit
Manual master cylinder or power booster delete kit
MMR 96-98 Cobra fuel rails
Airtex E2000 (n/a) or Aeromotive Phantom 340 Stealth (turbo) Fuel pump

I already have the 4.6 4v, the transmission itself, an EGR delete, Hurst shifter, clutch cable, manual pedals from a II, stainless exhaust manifold studs, BMW alternator bolts for the intake manifold, and the factory injection harness to splice to the Microsquirt and EDIS-8 harnesses.

The possibility of going turbo in the future with this thing is very real, as the block can handle essentially infinite power, and the stock crank in these engines has been proven past 600rwhp. The connecting rods are the weak link, and are still good for 500+ RWHP according to the experts.

Last edited:
I hope you and your family get well soon!
For your engine swap you have a solid plan. I think after you made the decisions about how you want to run it, it will be much more straightforward from now on.

Good luck to both you and your mom - this :poo: is nothing to sneeze at. Hope you all can pull through quickly and with minimal complications.

Reactions: 1 users