Throttle body question

Whytry91

Nov 26, 2002
Morrisville, NC
Hi guys,

I tried searching but I can't find what I'm looking for....I ordered my Shorty headers last week and should be here Monday, it will complete my full stainless exhaust, I'm stuck what to do next, I have more but I want to spend around $200, and I'm wondering would I should do next, I have 3.73's and just a regular K & N air filter to help it breathe, I thinking my next choice should be a new/ larger throttle body, well 1) is that a good choice 2) would you recommend something else in that price range 3)what size should I go with 65mm or 70mm 4) I was thinking Ford Racing for the TB is that good or is there better 5) anything I need to be aware of when installing it????

Thanks for your help :nice:

I probably going to order it in a little bit.

• Sponsors (?)

blkstangman88 said:
id say go with the 70mm, and if u can afford it get the underdrive pullys with it.

Thanks, How would I know if I hard undrives on there already, do you know the size of the pulleys????I ask because if I turn my lights on my power goes down and all that, Iv'e tried two alternators already to no avail, I may get a 130 amp one as well, but I was wondering if the guy who had it before me put them on

so is the Ford Racing TB good????

I think that will be good because I should by next year have my blower, who knows????

Thanks

putting an under drive pulley on ur alterantor would nt affect it cuz a alternator always puts out the same amount of amps even if its spinning a bit slower, i thought it would not charge my battery enough but that was not the problem. to know if u have them, id say either look at the bolts holding the crank pulley on, if there regular bolts, its stock, if there small round allen wrench bolts, then u have the under drive pulleys. plus if the belt is stock then u have the stock under drive pulleys, when i put them on mine i have to get a smaller belt from the different size pulleys. pulleys are a good lil power adder and are cheap, can probly get a pair off ebay for like $35 or $40 if that

blkstangman88 said:
putting an under drive pulley on ur alterantor would nt affect it cuz a alternator always puts out the same amount of amps even if its spinning a bit slower, i thought it would not charge my battery enough but that was not the problem. to know if u have them, id say either look at the bolts holding the crank pulley on, if there regular bolts, its stock, if there small round allen wrench bolts, then u have the under drive pulleys. plus if the belt is stock then u have the stock under drive pulleys, when i put them on mine i have to get a smaller belt from the different size pulleys. pulleys are a good lil power adder and are cheap, can probly get a pair off ebay for like $35 or $40 if that

Great thanks.....

Do you know anything about the Ford Racin TB???

ive been told my mechanics that all 70mm throttle bodys are all the same, the more spendy ones ur just paying for the name. but ive also been told the ford racing tb are good, so what ever tb u get is better then stock.

Dont waste your money on underdrive pulleys, they will just cause you problems especially if you live in a hot climate, they will underdrive your waterpump and cause your car to run hot. The alternator will spin slower and will not produce 130A if you underdrive it, that is a fact, anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about. If you really want your car to run hotter and not charge as well, in turn reducing battery life, then go for it, but I don't see any advantage to it. As for the throttle body, unless you have a larger mass air, it wont do you any good. If you are only looking to spend around 200 I would look into buying a mass air or saving for an intake, but the throttle body is not the place to start. I would suggest the C&L since you can calibrate it for your injectors, I think it runs about $180 should be about 5hp gain, when you get ready for the throttle body I would go with the accufab, very nice and comes polished, you can pick that up on ebay for around $270

the alternator puts out the exact same amps even if its spinning slower and the pump is basicly the same, i have them and have never had a problem with my battery or over heating, i have 2 subs and my lights never once have dimmed do to low battery charge.

You're prolly better going with a ford one cause you will get all new electronics on it, though this makes them alittle more expensive. Just look around and find a used one. I wouldn't get any brands that are low in price since i've heard of LOTS of TBs that get stuck open, especially ones from Professional Products.

I'd stick with a 65 if you aren't going crazy with your set-up or plan on using a SC. No reason to go larger than that really.

Steve

NO_RICE said:
Dont waste your money on underdrive pulleys, they will just cause you problems especially if you live in a hot climate, they will underdrive your waterpump and cause your car to run hot. The alternator will spin slower and will not produce 130A if you underdrive it, that is a fact, anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about. If you really want your car to run hotter and not charge as well, in turn reducing battery life, then go for it, but I don't see any advantage to it. As for the throttle body, unless you have a larger mass air, it wont do you any good. If you are only looking to spend around 200 I would look into buying a mass air or saving for an intake, but the throttle body is not the place to start. I would suggest the C&L since you can calibrate it for your injectors, I think it runs about $180 should be about 5hp gain, when you get ready for the throttle body I would go with the accufab, very nice and comes polished, you can pick that up on ebay for around $270

If im going to get a supercharger, would I be wasting my time/money on the mass air???

Where do you get the C&L from????

NO_RICE said:
As for the throttle body, unless you have a larger mass air, it wont do you any good.

I saw a noticable difference when I installed mine. I haven't installed my MAF or other major parts yet so it was on a virtually stock engine. Better throttle response and alittle more pull up top. I say go TB before injectors and MAF since you wont need larger injectors for a while.

Smeckel said:
You're prolly better going with a ford one cause you will get all new electronics on it, though this makes them alittle more expensive. Just look around and find a used one. I wouldn't get any brands that are low in price since i've heard of LOTS of TBs that get stuck open, especially ones from Professional Products.

I'd stick with a 65 if you aren't going crazy with your set-up or plan on using a SC. No reason to go larger than that really.

Steve

Yeah I heard that the 70mm is too big, I just wanted to make sure.

Does the Stock air stuff fit over the 65mm or do you need an adapter or something????