Tool bag / spare parts bag

Kabuki_notch

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2001
Rochester, NY
Hey guys forgive me if this had been posted but I couldn't find anything. Do any of you guys or gals keep a tool bag or box with you in your fox if so what are you bringing with you? Pip modules, starter solenoid spare bulbs , 10mm sockets, ratchets etc. I need ideas for a roadside emergency kit for my car.

• Sponsors (?)

Starter solenoid, spare bulbs, ignition control module, ignition coil, a quart of oil, a quart of transmission fluid, and a gallon or so of 50/50 coolant along with the tools for those particular jobs are what I rolled with in my fox-body days.

I do in my daily driver. Misc hand tools for things like battery terminals, a tire plug kit, gloves, etc. I've dug into it from time to time for my own car, or to help others.

I don't keep anything in my fox really. It's not a regularly driven vehicle, and if something happens I have free towing with haggerty to get me back home.

i think having a extra clutch cable is a must...cause you never know when it will break
Changing a clutch cable on the side of the road would be a damn nightmare. I think I’d just call a tow for that, get free ones with Grundy.

A distributor with a socket set that includes a u-joint. Obvious things like oil and coolant are always a good idea. I like to keep some spare relays for fan, fuel pump, etc. A box of fuses comes in handy as well.

I like to keep a pair of channel locks, cutters, and zip ties with me at all times.

I own a dump er, tow truck, noobz calls it a 'dump' truck, he will have to explain why.
I carry a set of jumper cables, couple screw drivers and a pair of adjustable pliers, spare tire and jack and lug wrench at all times in the car. Never used them on my car though.
When I take a trip I would add a small tool kit and a spare tfi, zip ties, a flash light and some fuses.
Oh, and a quick charger for the phone.

A pair of vise grips, 8 inch adjustable wrench, flat head screw driver, sharp knife, deep 9/32 - 5/16 - 3/8 - 7/16 - 1/2 - 9/16 - 10mm - various extensions - swivel ( all 1/4 inch drive...gear wrench brand ), spare fuses, cutting pliers, flash light, spare bulbs, flat repair plug kit, and jumper cables. If traveling I take one of those hydraulic jacks in a case. ( I hate scissor jacks ) could do the same size socket in 3/8ths with a 3/8th ratchet.

That's also my junk yard bag. Gear wrench has a lifetime replacement anywhere that carries gear wrench products....that's just about all of the parts stores. If it breaks just stop and exchange it. Mine hasn't broken yet. I don't try to remove lug nuts with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet though...I have removed an explorer intake in the JY.

The solenoid won't leave you stranded but may keep you from starting the car with the key. Clutch cable may pop but you can drive without a clutch. Start in 1st, float the gears, cut off to stop and put the shifter back in 1st. A shoestring will work for the throttle.

When I DD'ed my car years ago, I carried a spare TFI module, a TFI module wrench, some TFI grease, and a 1/2" wrench to loosen the dist to rotate it enough to swap out the TFI.

Reactions: 1 user
Zip ties , butt connectors , electrical tape , cutters , crimpers . Basic hand tools . Never had to carry a spare clutch cable with the MM one and I daily drove mine . Kept a spare blower belt once the blower went on.

I carry a "AAA" card. Laugh all you want, but it is a fix all for all possible breakdowns which according to Murphy's law keeps the car from breaking down. The car has not left me stranded in 14 years now.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I carry a "AAA" card. Laugh all you want, but it is a fix all for all possible breakdowns which according to Murphy's law keeps the car from breaking down. The car has not left me stranded in 14 years now.

Kurt
I broke down on a highway in Miami during rush hour in 1991. I got AAA and a Motorola brick cell phone.

Kurt
It works . I had a smog delete pulley bearing come apart . 494 dollar tow was 92 bucks because of the tolls and extra mileage . 130 miles from home . Well worth it

Just past the intersection of 826 and 836. You are lucky you made it to the shoulder to get towed in that traffic. That's good luck right there.

Kurt
I was in the left lane. I made it to the left shoulder. The fuel pump died. I got towed 2 hrs home by a guy named Carlo who spoke 4 words of English and drove a 68 Chevy tow truck. It cost me $210.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users