trade/salvage

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
What do you guys think of this deal: I have a 93 GT and 67 coupe, been thinking about selling the 67 coupe because it needs work and I just don't have the money for it or time. The other day, I had someone offer me a trade. He has a 98 cobra with 85k miles, it is in nice condition but has a salvage title. In asking what the salvage was for he said the car was hit in the right front in a hit and run, he had the front right repaired from the headlight to a little past the mirror. He sent me a bunch of pictures and the car looks nice. THe interior is also in perfect condition, etc. My 67 is all original, 289 automatic, 65b code, clean title, had it up and running two weeks ago but its currently not running. Paint is ok, small dent repaired in rear quarter thats in primer and some sun fade, so basically needs paint. Anyways, I wanted to get some opinions on this deal. Usually I don't even consider salvage cars. What do you think the 98 cobra is worth because of the title? I still haven't really talked to him about how the trade will work, like cash on top of the deal as well. I have also been questioning selling the 67 because a family member of mine has a 351w I might be getting for free. My thoughts are, if I sell the 67 for cash I will use some of the money on my 93 GT(start a 331 build) and of course on school/books. Or, make the trade for the cobra. What you think?

• Sponsors (?)

since your car is original with matching #'s I would not do it. If your coupe was a cobbled together hotrod I would say go for the gusto and trade, but if you found the time to finish the coupe, it would be worth more than the cobra IMHO.
Unless you are looking at the long term value of a vehicle I would not worry about a salvage title. typically a salvage car has about 50% of the value of the cars normal worth.