Turn Signal Problem

FreddyKruger

May 26, 2018
Minnesota
The car is a 1995 Mustang GT 5.0 Liter. The left turn signal blinks fast with the front signal not blinking at all. We have taken the bulb and its housing and changed it with the right side and it works perfectly. We took a multimeter and tested the ground and that appears to be solid. We took a multimeter and connected it to the running lights and it posted 10.47 volts when the headlights were turned on. We did the same test on the turn signal and it showed a pulsating current when the turn signal was activated. Really don't understand why the running lights don't work when the multimeter is saying it is getting power or why the turn signal doesn't work when the multimeter is saying it is getting power particularly when we have tested the ground and that is solid?

• Sponsors (?)

We have replaced the socket the light fits into, but not the pigtail the bulb socket slides into. I will give that a try. I tested the circuits by sliding a thin piece of copper sheet into the receiver in the pigtail. It's certainly possible I could get a connection with this that I couldn't get by sliding the pigtail into the bulb socket. I'll try that and post the results.

Sounds to me that your bulb socket is just worn (not springy enough any longer) or corroded. Try just replacing the pigtail.
Heee! Haa! Great advice. In retrospect it seems so obvious. Out of town for a week, got back and followed your lead and replaced the pigtail socket and the turn signals work. Some times your to close to an issue. It helps to have someone tell you what you should be seeing. Thank you. We replaced the part this evening and everything works as it's supposed to. Again Thanks!!!

You're very welcomed, congratulations and happy to hear all is well! I've been working on old cars most of my life, and can't tell you how many hours I spent chasing electrical problems that were just bad sockets. :) Our 94-95's are getting up there in years now, as strange as that seems.