Updates on K&N Aircharger experiences?

FL2005GT

Oct 28, 2005
I've read a few responses on here where people are running K&N Aircharger kits with FACTORY tune and no other mods, other than some with axle-backs. Most of these were older posts, so I'm looking for updates.

Anyone running K&N with factory tune have any problems, comments, good results, anything? Check engine lights?

I know I could get better performance results from a CAI with a new tune, but man, I'm still having a hard time taking that step. I've talked to a couple of local dealerships, and they didn't see a problem with warranty coverage with just a CAI not requiring retune, but said an aftermarket tune would be a problem.

Thanks,

Rich
2005 GT
5-speed
Flowmaster American Thunder axle-backs

• Sponsors (?)

Updates on K&N Aircharger experiences

FL2005GT said:
Yeah man, I know. =/

I'm just so hesitant to mess with the stock tune and have something go wrong.

No one still running the K&N Aircharger with stock tune?

I am. I installed mine last weekend and put about 20 miles on the car. Not much difference (in performance) until 5k rpms and above. When you grap the next higher gear after shifting at 6k the car really takes off.

I left the HC trap in- but may get brave & remove it in the near future.

The sound is great- it's actually almost as loud as the stock exhaust:nice:

I really do notwant to mess with the tune until the thing is out of warranty.
Dan

FL2005GT, I'm in the same boat as you. I do not want start screwing with retunes and my warranty either. You should check out Mustang Racing Technology's (MRT) and AIRAID's CAIs, they both claim not to need a retune - and AIRAID's claim 17rwhp (whether or not that is true I'm not sure). I think I'm gonna pick up the AIRAID CAI after a little more research to make sure it is legit. Hope this helps.

Check them out...

http://www.airaid.com/450-172_ford.asp

http://www.mrt-direct.com/mustangracing/streetsmart.php

I ram mine for several months with no problems or check engine lights.
K&N's Intake tube is designed so that the MAF sensor tube diamiter is the same size as the Stock intake ( 80mm I think). this helps the computer to cope with the increased flow of air from the filter. Other kits have a larger MAF sensor tubes, this is what causes the "check engine light" to come on with out tunes, because the volume of air has increased, changing the air presure accross the MAF sensor.

So in short, the K&N Aircharger can be run safely but without huge gains in HP or TQ.

I've run the K&N no tune all summer with no issues. I even took out the h/c trap. It was good for 0.2 seconds in the quarter.... but I think that was just me getting better at launching. Anyway, it looks kinda cool under the hood.

I have run my K&N for almost a year

No problems and it delivers the advertised hp without a tune. In fact, I think my car is running rich but I won't mess with it until '08

I've had my K&N CAI on for a few days now. I also have the JBA axle back exhaust on my '05 GT. No problems so far. The car sounds great. I haven't really pushed it hard as I disconnected the battery and I am allowing the computer to "learn" the new airflow.

A couple of very respected tuners in the industry, Bamachips and Brenspeed both dynoed the K&N on a stock tune. +7 hp with the auto and +11 hp with the manual 5 spd. A/F ratio was nearly identical to stock and is considered to be a very safe CAI with the stock tune.

I'm enjoying mine. The car breathes now and sounds great with the JBA mufflers. Install of the K&N was very easy and straightforward. Just don't torque down the two valve cover bolts too much. I used a 1/4 inch rachet and snug tight on the bolts.

I got my K&N from Mike's Performance off of eBay for about $200.