Used tuner?

03redgtstang

Banned
Apr 24, 2007
How much would you guys pay for a used predator? Ive been looking to get one, just havent had the money for a new one. I found someone who will sell it for 200, is that a good deal on a used one? Its in good condition. What kinda of problems may I run into with buying a used one? Is it not a good idea?

• Sponsors (?)

I guess its not so much the price that i'd be concerned with but rather that the programming has been removed from the previous car first. Most of the hand held programmers will only work on 1 car until the program is removed otherwise its just a paper weight for the next guy. Make sure it has been cleared. I bought a used Hypertech programmer for my old car and it worked fine. I believe they are also year specific so make sure thats correct.

This is this guys explanation of why this will work in my car. Is he correct and it's safe to by as long as he's telling me the truth?

Heres how it works, once the tune is in your vehicle, the tool can not be used on any other vehicle. when the predator tune goes in, it makes a copy of the stock tune. once the stock tune is reinstalled it is good to go on another vehicle. this is unlike the SCT. the XCal II is tuned to each car, SCT requires the vehicles computer code, meanin that the XCal has to be sent back to SCT to get unlocked. I bought the predator used, and once it is uninstalled off a vehicle it is good to go. i checked it and when i plug it into mine it goes through all the regular bs, like transmission type. it only does that on a new vheicle, not everytime you plug it in. any more qs

Is this a local transaction? If so... see if you can check and make sure the program will load first. It won't take long to go thru the steps and make no changes. The predator is basically married to 1 VIN at a time. It should work as long as it was removed from the other vehicle. If this is a mail order transaction then its just a roll of the dice. Is this on eBay? Is his/her feedback pretty good?

Yes it is local so ill see if i can meet up with the guy. Im just not knowledgable bout em that much and figure it will help me out. He seems pretty straight forward/honest as ive dealt with him on other things and he's recommended good shops to go to. Thanks.

Ok i bought the tuner. Fairly self explanitory and easy to use. The only thing is now I need some recommendations. I quite honestly dont even want to touch the manual HP tune with a/f ratios etc becuase I dont know what would be best. I did install the diablo performance tune. Seems to get up and go a little better. The only thing is I plan on getting gears soon. I can send this back to diablosport and give them my mods of midpipe,catback,CAI and 4.10 gears and they can make a custom tune for me right? Will this be my best way to go?