Using E85 as Injector Cleaner

Figured I'd share the results of my recent experiment. I got this idea from my FFV Ranger, which I purchased about 18 months ago.

Earlier this year I had the idea of running a blend of E85 through my 86 just to see if it would run any different. I've tried every injector cleaner known to man, and while a difference is noticed for a tank or two, the results don't last.

About a month ago, I ran 2 tanks of E85 blended fuel back to back. I would run the car until the fuel light came on, pour in 4-4.5 gallons of E85 and fill it up with Regular. The car ran funky when cold, once it warmed up it ran ok.

I'm now back to normal pump grade gasoline--89 octane (timing at 12*), and the car runs completely different. Much smoother throttle response, smoother idle, and it seems like it's getting better fuel economy--I haven't checked it closely yet.

Figured I'd pass the info on, from here on out, E85 will be my injector cleaner of choice.

FYI--E85 does NOT eat rubber or cause problems with the fuel system. That's a myth.

• Sponsors (?)

Figured I'd share the results of my recent experiment. I got this idea from my FFV Ranger, which I purchased about 18 months ago.

Earlier this year I had the idea of running a blend of E85 through my 86 just to see if it would run any different. I've tried every injector cleaner known to man, and while a difference is noticed for a tank or two, the results don't last.

About a month ago, I ran 2 tanks of E85 blended fuel back to back. I would run the car until the fuel light came on, pour in 4-4.5 gallons of E85 and fill it up with Regular. The car ran funky when cold, once it warmed up it ran ok.

I'm now back to normal pump grade gasoline--89 octane (timing at 12*), and the car runs completely different. Much smoother throttle response, smoother idle, and it seems like it's getting better fuel economy--I haven't checked it closely yet.

Figured I'd pass the info on, from here on out, E85 will be my injector cleaner of choice.

FYI--E85 does NOT eat rubber or cause problems with the fuel system. That's a myth.

That's good that it worked to clean up your fuel system. It's not a myth, however that it will eat rubber hoses and corrode your fuel system. I do believe that I'll listen to the engineers and chemists that tell me so, over someone who ran it in their tank and hasn't experienced a failure of their fuel line yet.

There are people over at E85performance.net that have run E85 in pre-1980 cars without replacing the fuel tank, fuel lines, etc and haven't had any problems or signs of failure in several years.

I converted my quad to run on a blend of 80% E85 this March, no problems to date. Quad runs better than it ever has.

There are people over at E85performance.net that have run E85 in pre-1980 cars without replacing the fuel tank, fuel lines, etc and haven't had any problems or signs of failure in several years.

I converted my quad to run on a blend of 80% E85 this March, no problems to date. Quad runs better than it ever has.

Just because people have done it with success dosent change the fact that e-85 is extremly corrosive and can eat away parts of the fuel system. you wouldnt see me running it, especially not pump e-85

Just because people have done it with success dosent change the fact that e-85 is extremly corrosive and can eat away parts of the fuel system. you wouldnt see me running it, especially not pump e-85

E85 is only slightly more corrosive than gasoline. Methanol on the other hand is extremely corrosive, a lot of people are thinking of Methanol when they hear E85.

The results of my experiment are incredible, the car runs sooo much better. I was simply posting my idea to give others something to think about. A couple gallons of E85 mixed in with a tank of fuel isn't going to cause ones car to fall apart, rot or blow up.

The ethanol in E85 is an extremely weak acid. In high concentrations it can corrode certain metals and rubber in older engines. Most fuel injected engines have been redesigned to at least handle E10 by removing a lot of exposed magnesium and aluminum components and elimating cork and natural rubber gasketed parts. The degree at how well a modern fuel injected (not not one designed for E85) lasts with E85 all depends on the manufacturer. Water also helps to accelerate the corrosive affect to some metals and rubber as well. ENgines in one vehicle may be coincidentally designed in such a way that resists the effect, while others are not and suffer.

Just because some people run the setup with no issues doesn't mean the same will hold true for others. Someone in dry Arizona will have different results than someone in humid Florida. It also really depends on the vehicle and materials used in the engine and fuel system. Generally, 20% ethanol is the limit for non-converted vehicles.

It's kinda like people using acetone to get better fuel economy. All that money they save now will come in handy when the acetone eats the valve seals in their engine up.

Ive seen pictures of internal engine parts from extened use in an ethanol engine, and they were uncoated aluminum that ended up with oxidation and pitting on the pistons, and rods. Yea its not "that" corrosive but its like anything else, if you pick at a scab for long enough its gonna bleed

If you need to run injector cleaner on a regular basis, maybe you should consider buying gas from a different station or chain. :shrug: The only clogged injectors I have come across here in SoCal were in a car that had been sitting for years with fuel in it.....in a junkyard.

Personally, I'm surprised that standard E10 hasn't been keeping things clean.