Vortech S/C - Necessary Mods???

mo_dingo

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I have a chance to get a good deal on a Vortech @ 6-8PSI. But it does not come with any fuel/ignition parts. So I need to know the BARE MINIMUM needed to run the s/c until I can afford the correct parts.

Can I run the stock MAF? Will a FMU get me by until I can buy new injectors/calibrated MAF? Which FMU should I get?

Do I need the MSD BTM?

Can I keep the stock fuel pump?

Like I said, I don't have much extra money to spend. So what I do spend needs to be wisely chosen. Thanks for the help!

I also need a good place to purchase the parts. Will ebay suffice?
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Bare minimums... 255 intank pump, and i would go with 42lb injectors no doubt. BTM is not needed, as long as you get the car dyno tuned you will be fine. Since the SC makes a certain amount of boost at each RPM, the tuner can remove timing at the higher rpms. I think it would be a good idea down the road to get a btm with the hot weather in az.

you could get away without an inline pump for a while, i wouldnt reccomend it though..

Skip the cost of an FMU, and just get the right sized injectors. 42lber's can be had for 250 and less (used), its better to have too much fuel then too little. Since the fuel can be tuned out. A maf will be needed. Youc ould get the cheaper C&L one for time being. I see them used for pretty cheap.

Summit sells a bbk 255 intank pump, usually 130 shipped. It is a walbro, i just got one myself.

well, you could go and buy an fmu, prob run you 100 used. I have no idea on the calibration for it for 19lb injectors.

Then the stock maf would be fine. FMU's cause lean/rich conditions, so it wiill not be optimal for performance, but enought to drive the car.

If you are not getting the car tuned, then get a btm for sure. Just keep the timing low.

I persoanally would throw the t-rex pump in the trash, or sell it and buy a walbro. you can get a 255lph inline for ~ 140.

So say a BTM - 70 used, fmu - 100 used, and a inline pump - 140 new. That is absolute rock bottom bare essentials.

I said 42lber's cause it will be cheaper in the long run. But if u need cheap now, then go fmu.

you won't need somthing as big as 42's i would go with 30#ers or 36#ers, and for a MAF C&L's are cheaper and easier to switch from calibration to calibration. Intank pumps go for 85 new and 50 used you can find a 255 intank at the corral all the time for cheap