What is special about '96 GT/Cobra radiators?

Back2Mustangs

Sep 2, 2004
Why is there always a seperate radiator listed for 1996 GT's and Cobras? I'm transplanting a 2001 Cobra block with 2V PI heads into a 96 GT and I can't figure out what kind of radiator to buy.

• Sponsors (?)

in 1996 the was a TSB for overheating issues on the SOHC's & DOHC's and one the parts to correct this was a newer (1997 up) style radiator which was @4" wider, so when the recall was done on 1996 V8's was the lower radiator mounts were cut-off and newer ones were put in place but spaced out @2" on each side.

note there was a lot more in the TSB than just a radiator too

Randy hit it right on the head, I had the recall done on my 96 Cobra and it made a huge difference in how cool the car ran. Just get a high performance aluminimum radiator for a 97 and up and modify the mounts to fit.

When my friend that works as a mechanic at a Ford dealership ran my vin and found it was not performed he told me it was a recall repair, and Ford does not make it mandatory but they will pay for it warrenty or not. Just like if you own a RX-7 that has less than 100k and blows an Apex seal they will replace the engine for free from 79's to 96's (as long as you have not upped the boost)

When my friend that works as a mechanic at a Ford dealership ran my vin and found it was not performed he told me it was a recall repair, and Ford does not make it mandatory but they will pay for it warrenty or not. Just like if you own a RX-7 that has less than 100k and blows an Apex seal they will replace the engine for free from 79's to 96's (as long as you have not upped the boost)

hmmmm

Well your friend is wrong, its TSB 96-25-12 and it was only Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage. I am a ford tech, believe me if it was free my own 96 cobra would of had it done. I went the cheap way around it and went with changing the temp my fans come on at with my SCT tuner and put a 160 degree thermostat in it.

I think he was asking the difference in interchangeability. I know for a fact that the 96 Cobra does not use a filler neck. Not too sure about the GT. I was wondering the same thing because I want to use a newer radiator in my mod fox. I would like to use a 94-95 GT rad maybe, because they have a filler neck...I want to eliminate that unsightly bottle.

I think he was asking the difference in interchangeability. I know for a fact that the 96 Cobra does not use a filler neck. Not too sure about the GT. I was wondering the same thing because I want to use a newer radiator in my mod fox. I would like to use a 94-95 GT rad maybe, because they have a filler neck...I want to eliminate that unsightly bottle.

all the newer cars use the Degas bottle, so none of the newer radiators come wth a filler neck but thats not a problem as Moroso makes 3 inline fillers that splice into the radiator hose, part #'s 63730, 6370 & 63745. goto www.moroso.com

this is what I used on my '96 GT when I re-did the coolant system.

So randy what else was in the TSB besides the radiator,i'd like to update mine because it was obviously never done,also i guess thats why the 03 cobra rad i have doesnt fit into the little sockets down below,because my car was never updated for it.

well the kit (which I have but never installed it) had the radiator, a/c condenser, coolant fan asbly, pwr dist box and harness, new radiator mounts, brkts and some air deflectors......thats all I can remember

the "kit" is now discontinued by FoMoCo and the last list price of the kit was like $2200.00:eek:
I also think there was something in the instructions abour removing the honey-comb grill on 1996 as 1997/1998 did not have them anymore from the factory, something about "improved air flow" wthout the grill