What's wrong with my car ........

BB 91' NOTCH

Apr 17, 2007
md
other than the driver.My first trip to the track after installing trick flow top end kit,65 mm throttle body,headman headers,bbk cold air intake,70mm mass air and edge 3000 stall lock up converter.And I gain 4 tenths.I ran 15.1 all stock and this time i ran 14.7@98mph with 255 60 street tires.My timing is set at 13 degrees so i should bump that up a little.I was told it has 410's in it but i go through the traps in secong gear,does that sound right?Also i never upgraded the fuel system,Is that holding me back that much? Now I'm going to have a few drinks and hopefully calm down before i do something stupid like buy a chevy.

• Sponsors (?)

With the Trick Flow top end kit you're supposed to have 24lb injectors, a 70mm TB, a 75mm mass air (calibrated for 24 lb injectors) and at least a 190 lph fuel pump. None of which you have. You probably haven't had it dyno tuned either.. right? With all the stuff I listed, you should run in the low 13's if you have 4.10 gears... but I don't think you have those either since you're only in second gear at the finish line. Looks like you have some more work to do if you wanna go faster.

2nd gear sounds like 2.73's

I have 3.73s in my car and I cross the finish line at the very end of 3rd gear. With 4.10's you should be pretty much redline 3rd as your cross.

even with that 98mph trap speed, you should be able to get a solid 14.3 even on street tires. I agree, you've got 2.73's, but if you switched to 4.10's, you would probably already get into high 13's and over 100mph. I would definitely make a gear change and do the other things these guys suggested. Chevy's need tuning and changes to, so no reason to go do that.

I run a slightly reduced weight(no fogs and sound deadening removed) 93 GT AOD vert, shift kit, 4.10s, full exhaust, p heads, TFS stage 1 cam, MM LCAs, stock converter and a set of DRs. I run consist 14.0s@100 mph.

Your 98 mph should be good for a better time. Without the DRs I was running 14.2s-.3s and with the DRs got down to 14.0s. What are your 60' times? I think that you are leaving a lot of time at the starting line but without your 60' times its hard to tell.

first of all you need to get some drag radials or same slicks for the track. Your not seeing your full potential if your not leaving hard. second of all get a bigger gear, that will make the world of differance if your passing the trapps in 2nd then your gear is way to small or you have the stock gear. i would recomend 373 if you drive the car every day if not go with 410. Third i would get a dyno tune to see where you are at or atleast read the plugs at the track. its really worth it to see where your car is at and you can probabley find your problem on the dyno.

I would get a set of gears, IMHO 4.10s for an AOD and 3.73s for a 5 speed. And then also a set of DRs. The car should leave pretty hard with a set of gears and some drag radials. I am pulling 2.24-2.3 60's with a stock converter. I would also get the trans fixed. I burned OD out of mine and it ran fine in 1-3 gears but yours might be having some issues. For more AOD info check out www.clickclickracing.com Lots of good info over there.

To check your gear ratio jack the rear of th car up. Get a piece of chalk. Make a line on the tire straight down then a make a line on the drivshaft right in the middle of it if you where laying directly beneath it. you dont have 410 s in there that is for sure but if you did your driveshaft would turn just a little over 4 times per one rotation of the tire a 3 and 3/4 for 373s a little over 3 and a half for 355s, You smell what Im stepping in?