1988 Mustang GT Restoration/Modification

Build includes a Dart block 331, 76mm Turbo, Cobra IRS, and much more

  1. Header modifications and breather can

    RacEoHolic330
    It didn't take long for me to run into my first snag. I temporarily bolted up my MM k-member and mocked up the engine in the car with my HP Performance hotside installed. I going to have to do some trimming on the passenger side for the turbo to fit, which I knew. I'm going to modify the boxed in frame rails to give a little more clearance to the header. Nothing hits on that side though.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I hit a speed bump when I mounted my driver side header. It wouldn't fit. It's hitting the motor mount on the k-member. And it's not like it almost fits, because the front header bolt is nearly an inch higher than it should be.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    So, the plan is to re-route the driver side header so it meets the crossover pipe near the power steering pump and not between the oil filter and frame rail like it does now. The MM k-member is very beefy and doesn't leave much room in that area. The collector is also very close to the sway bar and I think there may be some clearance issues with that as well. I never understood why HP Performance decided this was the best way to route the driver side of the kit?
    Below is the original configuration. I decided to cut the primaries and reweld new ones in so the collector would sit between the power steering pump and framerail.

    [​IMG]

    All the primaries cut:
    [​IMG]

    I went over in my head a million times the best way to route the tubes into the collector. After finally figuring it out, I cut the back two again and decided to run the front ones into the bottom of the collector.
    [​IMG]

    With the general collector location determined, I was able to move the header to the bench and tack in the top tubes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Put it back in the car to make sure I didn't mess anything up.
    [​IMG]

    I just need to clean up the tubes where they will enter the collector and then weld everything together. Next will be modifying the crossover to mate up with the new collector location.

    I welded all the tubes together and cut a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal into a 4 point star to fill the gap in the middle of the pipes. I was able to salvage the original collector, which saved me from having to buy a new one.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I also decided to install a flex bellow in the crossover tube. They aren't that expensive and if I can help avoid header cracks, why not. Here's the original crossover configuration
    [​IMG]

    And then after I got done chopping up some pipes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Plenty of clearance to the sway bar mount.
    [​IMG]

    I'm very happy with the way things turned out. I just need to weld the crossover together and then get it ready for coating.

    Built the AN lines for my breather setup. I couldn't find a vented catch can that would serve my purpose so I bought an aluminum can from Jegs and modified it to work. I drilled a 1-3/4" hole in the top of the can and had my welder tig a short section of aluminum pipe in the hole. This gave me a neck to mount an air filter to. He also welded three -12AN bungs on the can for me. It came out nice.
    [​IMG]

    I'll be getting it powder coated at some point.

    I decided to setup my breather system a little different than most. I'm not going to be using a PCV system so I had a -12 bung welded to the PCV hole in the lower intake in addition to the typical bungs on the valve covers. My theory is that the lifter valley is the best source to evacuate crankcase pressure. This way, the pressure does not need to find it's all the way to the back of the heads and through the valve covers. Most of the pressure will evacuate itself through the lower intake first, and then the rest can find its way to the valve covers. Here's what it all looks like mocked up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Yes, the can is crooked and a little high. Its not bolted to the firewall yet. I need to get the right size bolts and some spacers to bolt it up. I figured this will be a good spot for the can so I don't have AN lines strung all over the engine bay.

    I also stumbled upon a thread on corral where a guy used aluminum tubing and AN fittings to replace his steel heater tubes. I like the way it looked so I duplicated it. I may need to modify it a bit for the water line feed and return to the turbo.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
Return to update list...