So after I had already welded the large holes near the brake booster location, I decided that I didn't like how that area looked. Cut out a piece of sheet metal to cover everything up.
Cleaned up the brake booster mounting reinforcement plate
Cut a crude template
Made the crude template better
Transferred to sheet metal
My solution to the rusted out k-member supports was to clean out the framerail, apply anti-rust paint, make new supports, weld them in, paint again, and then weld a new, stronger piece of sheet metal in to reinforce the framerail.
After some painting, welding, and more painting
I figured that a good portion of the rust was to blame on the holes in the framerail directly under the strut tower. This area is constantly exposed to the elements while driving, so I decided to weld those holes up to eliminated the possibility of water sitting in that area anymore.
Here are the new pieces of sheet metal that I'll be welding in to box the framerail back together.
I also cut out and mocked up the passenger side sheet metal behind the strut tower. Didn't get around to welding it in yet though.
The last thing tonight was welding the pinch weld along the firewall. I had already trimmed it back to make it look a little better, but the two pieces of sheet metal were still visible and that was ****ing me off, so I welded it up. It will be grinded down nicely and be given somewhat of a rounded bullnose edge.
Mocked up the hydroboost unit and MC to make sure everything cleared. All is well in that department. Shouldn't have any issues with running the lines. I also won't be needing the stock-style prop valve anymore, so I will just need to find a spot to mount the Wilwood prop valve for the rear bias.
Got the framerail boxed in and welded up. I still need to cut out about 2" above it and replace that portion of the shock tower with new sheet metal. Once I do that, I can put one final piece of sheet metal over everything and smooth it all out.
Welded in the piece near the firewall.
Grinding down all those welds...
I also cut out the last bit of rusted strut tower metal. I'll make new pieces to replace the old and weld everything back up.
Finally finished the framerail repair. There was more involved to it than I thought, from making those tubular supports and welding everything up. But it's done, so I can move on to bigger and better things!
First I filled in the area I cut out and re-welded the spot welds where the sheet metal attaches to the strut tower.
Then I shot everything with paint and welded one more layer of sheet metal to complete everything.
Just have to grind the welds down and then everything will be seamless. Luckily, I don't have much welding left to do in the engine bay.
I decided to cut out the driver side apron and weld in a new, stronger piece. The original section had some rust issues and being that I plan to use that area to mount the ignition box and some other things, I wanted it to be in good shape.
Welded and grinded some of the front header support as well:
Welded in the new lower radiator support. For those that are wondering, I had to cut out the old one because I hacked it up so bad 7-8 years ago when I tried to stuff an oversized 3-row aluminum radiator in the bay. It was not in any kind of condition to bother repairing it. The boxed steel support I made is probably stronger anyway.
In addition to hacking the lower radiator support, I apparently gave the driver side core support some hell, so I had to cut and form a piece of steel to fix that area up. I sometimes wish I had the tools to stretch and form metal, but a mallet and a bunched up rag got the job done for me.
In the picture below, you can see the 'bump' on the passenger side of the core support.
That bump was bothering me, so I cut it out and welded in a new piece that will grind down flush with the rest of the support.
That is all pretty much the last of the welding in the engine bay area .
Put a layer of All Metal down in the major areas. This stuff seems to be love it or hate it in the autobody industry. I like the stuff. It's just very hard to sand down, but it's tough as nails and I don't have to worry about it cracking.
Sanded down the All Metal
Then I applied a light coat of Evercoat Z-Grip filler. I really liked the way it laid down, although I'm not very good at applying filler neatly. There were a lot of peaks and ridges that I needed to cut down with a chisel.
Next I started to block down the coat of filler. Got tired, so there is still more to do before I touch up areas with more filler.
Put on a skim coat of putty. Passenger side sanded down.
Shot 4 coats of urethane. I have to sand it smooth and then assess how many imperfections are left. I can see a few right now, so I will probably a need to spot putty a couple trouble areas. Other than that, it looks real nice.