First thing I needed to do was repair the footwell damage. I cut out all the rust-infected area.
Made myself a new piece.
And welded her in.
Built myself a little rotisserie to make my life 100x easier. Beats the hell out of laying on my back and scrubbing the bottom of the car.
Credit for the rotisserie design goes to a Corral member. I stumbled upon a thread where a guy posted plans and pictures of his. I modified it a bit to work for my needs. I'll have to find the thread again.
Although I can now work on the underside comfortably, it's still going to be a good amount of work to get everything clean up and pretty.
Rubberized undercoating SUCKS. There really is no easy way to remove this gunk. I started doing it chemically, and then realized all that does is make it a tacky mess. Wire wheels get gunked up within minutes. I finally resorted to using a oscillating tool with a scraper blade on the end to scrape up the majority of the mess. It's making quick work, in my opinion. I'll follow that up with a knotted high-speed wire wheel and then a paint removing disc. Should hopefully get the job done.
I also bought some POR 15 Marine Clean and Prep and Ready to give the underside a final cleaning before paint.
Have about 95% of the junk underneath all removed. Just need to go over the hard to reach areas by hand because I couldn't get the wire wheel or scraper in some areas. Coming along though!
The front portion is after scraping away the undercoating and hitting it with the knotted wire wheel.
Repeat until the whole underside looked like that...
Once I get the rest of the little nooks and crannies (and wheel wells), I'll wash everything down with a solvent and then hit it with a metal prep and she will be ready for primer, paint, and then eventually bedliner.
I have some minor rust repair and welding to do, then I can clean everything down and get to spraying.
Welded in my battery tray.
Underside is just about all ready for paint. Just need hit it with compressed air and then wash everything down with solvent and prep chemicals.
Scuffed, washed, and prepped. All ready for some black primer. Because I was going the bedliner route, I didn't bother to get the underside 100% flawless. The bedliner will be very forgiving and will cover up my laziness.
And finally, one coat of primer. Hopefully shooting the satin topcoat tomorrow as well.
Shot the top coat this weekend. Nothing but some simple Eastwood Chassis Black paint. I also hit the subframe connectors with some hammered texture paint. That will be the same finish on the roll bar inside the car.
Well, here she is. Underside is officially complete.
I am honestly VERY happy with the results. The pictures don't even do it justice.
The spec sheet said to shoot it between 40-70psi. I knew that more pressure would shoot a finer mist, so I shot it at 60psi. I also kept the gun at least 12" away from the surface. On the second coat, I kept it probably 20" away. This created a final look that almost resembles the look of 80 grit sandpaper. The wheel wells have 3 decently heavy coats on them, but keeping the gun far away kept that sandpaper look even with the heavy coats. I didn't want that 'chunky' bedliner look, and I'm glad I was able to avoid it coming out heavy.
It also hides just about all the body imperfections on the bottom as well. I really couldn't be happier. If anyone is thinking about using Raptor Liner, do it. It's so easy to apply, and for a total cost of $120 including the gun, you can't beat the price. I still have one bottle left over out of the 4 it came with.
Built myself a handy dandy little dolly tonight to be able to get the shell onto a flatbed and also so the painter can move the car around the shop. Nothing more than a couple of 4x4's and some heavy duty castors. Should be good to hold over 1600 lbs.
Shot the interior with some chassis paint. Will be topcoating it with Raptor liner.
Raptor liner top coat.