01 bowtie S10

04GreyGtUSAF

Dec 10, 2007
KS
Alright felllas and ladies, I need your help. Im looking at buying an 01 chevy S10 with 94,000 on the ticker. Its the 4 wheel drive and hes never had any big problems with it. This will allow me to put away the stang for weekends only. He is only asking 2000 for it from me. Let me know what you think. Ive never owned anything but Fords but chevy is still american so i can deal with it.
thanks for whatever info you can give.

john

• Sponsors (?)

yessir!!!!!!! especially if its the 4.3 its a very good motor.... i owned one for a while it was my dads.... i had it for about a year had every bit of 200k on it and ran like a charm.... has a little gitty up to :) id say go for it even if its the 2.2 (i think) they are very good trucks... i mean you can always try to lower a lil bit :) you know maybe to $1800 :nice:

Check out the balljoints on it if you do decide to buy it. The later S series trucks like to eat them. Luckily, it's a relatively simple job to replace them, but it's definitely worth checking out. I had an Olds Bravada that I rebuilt the front suspension on. After ~120K, the balljoints were on the verge of failure.

Check out the balljoints on it if you do decide to buy it. The later S series trucks like to eat them. Luckily, it's a relatively simple job to replace them, but it's definitely worth checking out. I had an Olds Bravada that I rebuilt the front suspension on. After ~120K, the balljoints were on the verge of failure.

and i failled ball joint is not good :nonono:

my last 96 gt had one fall out on an on ramp gettin on the interstate :eek:
yea that was fun......:mad:

One thing I advise about the 4.3L is to just treat it like a truck. That engine is just a 350 with two cylinders knocked off and it is very unbalanced. I had a really stupid friend that thought it would be a real hot rod if he upped the red line to 6k using a tuner and was finding metal slivers in his following oil change.

Don't get me wrong, they can be made to go fast, but they aren't as dummy proof as the first and third gen small block families.

for a beater truck that will keep your stang well rested, i would do it. i payed $500 for my dads explorer (car in sig). we bought it from his company bc they were doing away with company cars. all that has ever needed to be done to it were 1 O2 sensor and a couple tune ups. 23x,xxx and still running good.

with those miles i would also bet that the lower intake is leaking. they like to leak once they get miles on them. not a bad job to do though. also the oil cooler lines leaking is pretty common along with oil leaks from the crank sensor. its a good motor though and seems like a good deal. i would buy it

wow thanks for all the info. really appreciated. i wanna say he said the ball joints may slowly be going. is this a saturday afternoon job or take it to the dealer. thanks again for the input!

john

The hardest part about doing the balljoints is getting through the factory rivets that hold them in place. It takes about 20 minutes total, since you have to drill them out. The new ones bolt in place, so if you ever need to change them again for any reason, it's just a simple unbolt job.

get it and dump an LS1 in there:D:D

haha i wish........................just a thought, how would that work with the 4x4? Maybe a thought in a few years when Im pullin down some 0-3 pay:nice:

Thanks to you all for your input im definitly buying this truck. The only negative I can see is are the rim and tire set up hes got going on. Ill snap some pics this week. Thanks again:SNSign:

john