01 svt cobra..egr delete or no??

01svtsteve

Mar 14, 2024
Florida
Hi all, new here to forums and things like this however have seen alot of useful stuff on here so here is my "issue" so to speak. I have an 01 svt with the na 4.6 and recently have had hoses blow off my dpfe with some kind of egr issue I believe. I also know that clogged cats can cause the same thing but I haven't noticed any glowing and the pressure coming out of the tail end feels about equal at idle. Car goes good up until about 4k but has like 0 power to show for it. I was going to change my egr, but have also thought about doing a delete. (I live in Florida so no emissions)I know it will increase throttle response and what not but also gets everything hotter causing wear and tare to happen quicker...anyone have any input on pros and cons? BTW I'm going to lift my car and open the exhaust soon I just haven't had the chance to see if that helps to rule it out..I appreciate the input guys !

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you plan on tuning the car specifically for the deleted EGR, there is no benefit in removing it other than cleaning up some plumbing.

With it deleted, you can add in some additional timing and other tuning attributes, but typically most don't delete it unless there's another reason, such as lacking exhaust bungs on LT headers to connect the system up.

Unless you plan on tuning the car specifically for the deleted EGR, there is no benefit in removing it other than cleaning up some plumbing.

With it deleted, you can add in some additional timing and other tuning attributes, but typically most don't delete it unless there's another reason, such as lacking exhaust bungs on LT headers to connect the system up.
That realistically would be the reason for my delete is I am not 100% where my "power lag" is coming from so I was thinking just delete it all..now before I got my car there was a tune put on it (no idea what kind) but are you saying I would have to retune it after I take the egr off? I was just trying to think cost effective to fix my problem..I feel like maybe my egr vaccume solenoid is toast but I'm not 100%..this is my first new edge so it's still newer to me. I took off my egr and made sure the valve moved. Only thing I haven't done is try to undo my cats to see if they are clogged..i just don't want (and don't have money lol) to guess on what parts to replace which is why I even thought about doing the delete in the first place lol..I appreciate the fedback

My 01

Attachments

• 20240204_152516.jpg
    20240204_152516.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
You don't have to retune to take it off. You can retune to take advantage of the facts it's now disabled.

You could always just disable the vac regulator for now vs pulling all the plumbing off. Essentially that does the same thing and disables the system. It would help with process of elimination.

At 4K RPM and up however, a 4.6L DOHC should be screaming. That's where they shine. I think your issue would be something other than the EGR system in this case. If the EGR was hanging open, you would likely be hearing a lot of detonation.

You don't have to retune to take it off. You can retune to take advantage of the facts it's now disabled.

You could always just disable the vac regulator for now vs pulling all the plumbing off. Essentially that does the same thing and disables the system. It would help with process of elimination.

At 4K RPM and up however, a 4.6L DOHC should be screaming. That's where they shine. I think your issue would be something other than the EGR system in this case. If the EGR was hanging open, you would likely be hearing a lot of detonat

Understood.. I appreciate it..maybe it all does go back to clogged cats, I can tell it has an h pipe and aftermarket mufflers (haven't had too long so please don't judge lol) it's just so low and not easy to jack up the rear and what not at least with the tools i have lol..it idles and sounds fine, the rpms go up and sound great no misses or detonating , but it deff is losing the actual power, like a cavalier could smoke me past 2nd gear:/

Have you poked your head under the car?

Given the mods on the car, it likely doesn’t have cats on it. That’s an assumption on my part but give the 03 cobra bumper and hood, I wouldn’t think a stock h-pipe would be on the car unless you are in Cali.

but a 4.6 DOHC should start to haul the mail after 4k rpm, not fall on its face.

I admit, I’m not the best with 4.6 engine troubleshooting. I’m more of a 302 pro.

Reactions: 1 user

Given the mods on the car, it likely doesn’t have cats on it. That’s an assumption on my part but give the 03 cobra bumper and hood, I wouldn’t think a stock h-pipe would be on the car unless you are in Cali.

but a 4.6 DOHC should start to haul the mail after 4k rpm, not fall on its face.

I admit, I’m not the best with 4.6 engine troubleshooting. I’m more of a 302 pro.
Agree I just did a 302 swap in a maverick I had..the 4.6 is new to me lol hang on I have it up today somewhat and will snap a pic

Also the 03 bumper, i put on myself after I got it..it did have the cobra r bumper but paint was terrible on bottom and it was too low where I lived so 03 was deff a must lol ..nice eye though :)

Remove the cats and see if it wakes up, maybe they are clogged.
That's kinda what I'm thinking..seems like alot of pressure blowing off the hoses on the dpfe but before today I hadn't had the car up high enough to actually see but now I was unable to get the nuts from the exhaust man. And that's right where I need to open it lol

That's kinda what I'm thinking..seems like alot of pressure blowing off the hoses on the dpfe but before today I hadn't had the car up high enough to actually see but now I was unable to get the nuts from the exhaust man. And that's right where I need to open it lol
Spray them down with blaster or wd 40, let em soak, then use a couple of uggs ugh uggs.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
So while I'm under there is it beneficial to do the egr delete? I know it will make better throttle response and what not but is it going to be too "costly" to my 4v with 170 k miles? Or is it not worth it and "if it ain't broke don't fix it " ? Lol have a good day