Mach 1 '03 tranny noise typical??? should I chance it??

Lookin to purchase an otherwise sweeeet '03 5spd manual Azure Blue that has what is possibly a bearing noise in second gear. Can only really hear it under low load, ie, cruising w/ clutch depressed or while giving it little or no gas while cruising in second gear... . If there's any kind of load then either the noise is gone or you just can't hear it over the engine and exhaust. The car shifts fine. Very fine actually. Has a Blu Thunder short thro shifter. So, had a mechanic and two tranny shops look at it. One said prob overhaul needed. At the other shop we had the fluid drained and it showed no particles or anything unusual and the guy said if it was him he'd leave it. Better to leave the casing intact was his opinion. Anyway, my options are if I need to overhaul it I guess the best case scenario on a tranny tear down and bearing fix is around $1,800 otherwise I could swap for a reconditioned tranny for around $2,500...

Is this a common noise for an '03 Mach 1 tranny? Should I chance it and buy this car? Stats: 27k mi, magnaflow x-cats and cat back, 4" rolled chrome tips, airbox (not sure the manufacturer), blu thunder shifter, subconnectors, alot of billet in interior. Otherwise stock and very good to excellent condition. I think all I would need is a pair of tires for it. She was asking $19k, I eventually offered $17k and she said she'd let it go for that.

oh, and after we added some tranny fluid additive, LubeGard, the noise seemed to subside a little... so, I dunno man.. get more opinions at local shops? or look for another mach? or ???

Thanx in advance!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Drive it till it fails. The transmission is a real weak link on those cars. A couple of powershifts and they seem to start making noises. I would drive it and when it fails get a better transmission for the same money or spend more and install a T-56 which Ford should have used in the first place.

If/when you buy it, re-drain the transmission and re-fill with 3.0L (3.2 quarts) of DEXRON III. Some people have had good results from also adding a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix when re-filling, but I did not ever have to do that. I used to have an occasional third gear lockout on mine, particularly at higher rpm, but after draining and re-filling mine over 30,000 miles ago there have been no problems whatsoever with my transmission.

I'd say it depends on what your intentions with the car is. Normal driving duty with occassional romp sessions, or pretty active track duty to where you don't care if you grenade the stock transmission and you have have to drop $3K on a transmission after you just bought the car. Maybe the problem will go away, maybe it won't after a tranny flush. Myself, I'd hate to get into a car and have to listen to a noise that is'nt normal after I just bought it. My transmission makes 0 noise.

I had some of the famous tranny issues with my mach after I got it. It would want to grind going into 2nd. in cold weather and 3rd. a little too. It also had the 3rd. gear lockout when driving hard a couple times. I had the dealer do the fix that is out which cured the cold tranny issue. I also fixed the 3rd gear lockout issue by adjusting clutch. I had to force the quadrant by hand to get a little more than the self adjust would give. This has been successful for some time now, so i am relieved.