04 or 06 Cobra? Should be easy right, guess again.

bunny_power

Aug 13, 2003
Edmonton
I've got an 02 GT and was planning on trading it in in 06 for a cobra but last night my wife informed me that 2006 is when she'd like for us to have our first child. :eek:

Now I've got a problem in that I can get an 04 now without any trouble, but if I sit on my butt and wait til the 06s come out, I might have to face an ornery pregnant woman who thinks that an SUV would be a much more practical family vehicle. She says that she wouldn't do that to me, but I have a bit more faith in her maternal instincts than she does, if you know what I mean. :D

Anybody with some experience in this want to share their wisdom? The 06 is going to be a better car, but since we don't know much about the 06, anybody want to guess at how much performance loss I would be looking at by just getting the 04 and modding it? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

bunny_power said:
I've got an 02 GT and was planning on trading it in in 06 for a cobra but last night my wife informed me that 2006 is when she'd like for us to have our first child. :eek:

Now I've got a problem in that I can get an 04 now without any trouble, but if I sit on my butt and wait til the 06s come out, I might have to face an ornery pregnant woman who thinks that an SUV would be a much more practical family vehicle. She says that she wouldn't do that to me, but I have a bit more faith in her maternal instincts than she does, if you know what I mean. :D

Anybody with some experience in this want to share their wisdom? The 06 is going to be a better car, but since we don't know much about the 06, anybody want to guess at how much performance loss I would be looking at by just getting the 04 and modding it? :shrug:

I kinda had the same problem only when I went looking to trade in the 99 cobra and get an 03 cobra she decided her 01 f-150 ext cab wasnt big enough for the family so instead of coming home with a 03 cobra I came home with a 03 expedition. At least we traded her truck instead of my cobra. Besides, and this is my opinion, I dont like the new look of the 05+ stangs so I would get the 03/04.

Get the 04... What evidence do we have (that is absolutely reliable) that there will ever be a MUSTANG Cobra again?.... In 2006 there may be an SVT Mustang, but will it be a Cobra?... Who knows?

Who says that there will NOT be aftermarket parts for the 2006 Cobra and the 2005+ Mustang? There will be many aftermarket parts available for the 2005+ Mustang and also for the 2006+ Cobras. Have some patience here. There WILL be a Cobra out in 2006. Have faith. And it will NOT take Ford a lifetime like you say to produce aftermarket parts for these cars.

And speaking of pregnant women, I already have a 2 1/2 year old SUV that my sexy **** star wife drives. I am hoping that it will last another 3 to 4 years more. If she ever pops out a kid, she will still be driving her current SUV that she owns. If she wants to buy another SUV truck, she can buy whatever she wants. At least, I will still be in need of a vehicle for myself in the next few years when my Mustang gets older with higher miles on it. When this happens, I will still be buying another Mustang vehicle. Whether it is the GT or the Cobra, it will be a Mustang no matter what. I really want to buy the 2007/2008 Cobra sometime in 2007. At least that's what I'm shooting for here.

Didn't say anything about parts, I said tuning. I imagine the computer will be different and may take some time for tuners to be able to tune them. Hell they changed a little in the 02 GTs enough to where it took 6 months or so for a tuner to be able to make a chip for it. I'd say for now go with what works (03-04 Cobra) or take your chances with what the future may or may not have.

Whatever your choice may be, good luck to ya.

I would get the '03/'04 Cobra.
One: seems you'll have hell to pay and not just the loan if you buy one in '06. :D

Two: you can't go wrong with the powerplant these come with now. Small mods and you're over 400bhp that still contends with the '05 Corvette numbers (400hp) and most other cars to come in the future (unless they're coming out with 500-600hp 40k cars.

Three: What DO we know about the future of the Cobras? Will there be one in '06, if so what bugs needs working out? Too uncertain giving the situation you're in. :shrug:

Listen to the wifey and get an '04 Cobra. :nice:

I'll give you a little advice based on my experience........go ahead and get the Cobra now, and go ahead and have the kid now too! You'll be able to work it out.
Having my baby girl is the best thing in the world, you can't even imagine what it will be like for you when you have your own child. My girl is eight years old, she still wants me to hold her and I get to hear "I love you Daddy" all the time......it absolutely does not get any better than that!
I don't care if I had to drive a moped, as long as I have my daughter......
so don't wait or hesitate, just do it....err them.....uh,,,,both!

Good luck

I apologize in advance for the non-technical response :D

slither01 said:
I'll give you a little advice based on my experience........go ahead and get the Cobra now, and go ahead and have the kid now too! You'll be able to work it out.
Having my baby girl is the best thing in the world, you can't even imagine what it will be like for you when you have your own child. My girl is eight years old, she still wants me to hold her and I get to hear "I love you Daddy" all the time......it absolutely does not get any better than that!
I don't care if I had to drive a moped, as long as I have my daughter......
so don't wait or hesitate, just do it....err them.....uh,,,,both!

Good luck

I apologize in advance for the non-technical response :D

LOL, we decided to wait on the baby because we're both engineers and wanted to get our stamps before we have a child. That way the wife can stay home with the little one, but still do some independent consulting work on the side if she wants to.

Thanks for all the responses. I think you guys are pretty much confirming what I already thought. Rationalization is so much fun, now I just have to check if someone has already ordered my dealers only mystichrome. :banana:

Just before our 2nd daughter was born, we traded my wife's 1990 SHO in on a 1990 LX convertible. We were a 2 Mustang, 4 person family for the next 3-4 years. It was a royal pain! :nonono: It took two cars to go to the grocery store, or half of us had to stay home. I'd buy the car now. If you wait, you're right, you'll end up buying an SUV or some other people mover.

fiveofanatic said:
Just before our 2nd daughter was born, we traded my wife's 1990 SHO in on a 1990 LX convertible. We were a 2 Mustang, 4 person family for the next 3-4 years. It was a royal pain! :nonono: It took two cars to go to the grocery store, or half of us had to stay home. I'd buy the car now. If you wait, you're right, you'll end up buying an SUV or some other people mover.

My wife has a civic si that can hold THREE baby seats (need a "terrified" smiley), but she won't take it to the grocery store because she doesn't want any door dings. :(

Just called my dealer, and they've got one mystichrome left. Only about 5 going to be sold in the province. Wheeee. :banana:

Crap, somebody else got the mysti. Looks like its going to be either redfire or silver for me.

My wife is pretty happy about it though, she couldn't figure out why I wanted to drop an extra 4K on an appearance package. Women, can't live with em, and... can't live with em. :)

bugs

go with the 04 cobra cause they have the bugs worked out and they 06 may have some new bugs to work out???????

your saying they worked the bugs out of the 04 cobra? have they?
(im curious, seriously)