05 GT Manual, lossing syncros 2sd-3rd ???

There is a TSB for this. When they open it up, if there is any metal shavings, they are supposed to replace the whole tranny. Mine is in now for this. They are replacing the 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gear syncros along with a couple items that I don't recall. The biggest issue is the waiting game for the parts.

EDIT: here's the TSB
TSB 05-8-8
GROWL/GRINDING NOISE IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR DURING DECELERATION - TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 1/15/2005

Publication Date: April 18, 2005

FORD: 2005 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Mustang vehicles equipped with 4.6L engine and the TR3650 manual transmission built before 1/15/2005, may exhibit an intermittent raspy grinding noise while driving in 2nd and/or 3rd gear during deceleration. The noise may sound like a bearing growl, screech or scraping noise. Noise intensity may be light to medium, and is more likely to occur during the first few minutes of warm-up.

ACTION:
Order a synchronizer kit and a snap ring kit. Replace the reverse gear and synchronizer on the main shaft, and the associated snap rings. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-03B.

NOTE: DURING DISASSEMBLY, IF METAL SHAVINGS ARE FOUND ON THE TRANSMISSION MAGNET WHEN REMOVING THE EXTENSION HOUSING DO NOT CONTINUE WITH THIS TSB. THE TRANSMISSION MUST BE REPLACED.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2R3Z-7124-CA Reverse Gear And Synchronizer
4R3Z-7109-AA Snap Rings

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
050808A 2005 Mustang TR3650 Install Reverse Gear Synchronizer Kit (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003AZJ, 7003A2) 5.5 Hrs.
050808B 2005 Mustang TR3650 Replace Transmission Includes Time To Diagnose Original Transmission By Removing And Installing Extension Housing To Inspect For Metal Shavings (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003AZJ, 7003A2) 3.7 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7124 42

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, I think that's the most serious TSB to date. I have been noticing that sometimes the shift knob just does not want to go into 3rd gear, as if something is blocking the shifter. It will only happen once, then it goes right in. I was thinking maybe I just wasn't paying attention and didn't fully push the shifter knob all the way forward or didn't put it in the right place. After all, this is my first manual.

Also, as someone mentioned above, the tranny feels notchy after start-up, then smooths out after it warms up

(Copy from post I made in Axle whine thread)

There have been on-going issues with the TR-3650 since its inception. TTC engineers have indicated that aftermarket shifters should not be used and it would appear that even without adding an aftermarket shifter, that once the rails encounter a stop bind at over 1,000 lbs permanent damage could result. This means that ONE incorrect shift, at the incorrect RPM could cause permanent damage. Hence the reason I shyed away from the Manual in the 05....

Here is a PDF document from TTC dated 03. This was a problem with the Mach 1s and has continued to current. I would like to see Ford use the TKO on the GT. It is a far better tranny for the load specs.

http://www.mach1registry.com/images...ceTopic3-01.pdf

BTW, guys, in case you were wondering the TR-3650 is rated at MAX TQ to 360TQ. I would be cautious in increasing rear TQ to anything close to this unless you step up to a TKO.

Also, you can always contact TTC engineers and ask them what's up. I would not say that many of the items that have come up are TTC's problem, as much as it may be an application error. Although designed for the GT, the TR-3650 is not designed to take the modifications that we put to these vehicles many times.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/home/home.asp

The TREMEC people had no problem telling me about the original 3650 problem that lead to the long awaited TSB. At least the TSB for the '05 did not take a year to be released like it did for the older 3650s.
And I thought that the 3650 problem would have been resolved by now.
No problems now. I'll just drive it until it breaks.
For those of you who mentioned the 5 sp auto option, check out http://www.alternativeauto.com/ for a discussion on the duribility of the new auto trans.

jjaguda said:
The TREMEC people had no problem telling me about the original 3650 problem that lead to the long awaited TSB. At least the TSB for the '05 did not take a year to be released like it did for the older 3650s.
And I thought that the 3650 problem would have been resolved by now.
No problems now. I'll just drive it until it breaks.
For those of you who mentioned the 5 sp auto option, check out http://www.alternativeauto.com/ for a discussion on the duribility of the new auto trans.

Point me to the light, OH Wise One.... Too late to read through it all..... Is it good or bad?

~Jenn~

If the 4R70W was available in the 05 Mustang GT, that is what my car would have had. I knew when I ordered my car that the 5R55S was weaker thant the 4R70W and chose the Tremec 3650. I still think that was the right choice even though I have problems with mine.