05 Mustang GT Door Window tint problem

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
When I bought my car last year I noticed some streaks on the tint.

DSC02529.jpg

Well I found out it was some kind of glue or adhesive for this weatherstripping material. Rolling up/down the window made this weatherstripping come up and get more of the glue onto the tint. I'm not sure if this is a Ford installed weatherstripping felt material, or if the previous owner installed it, but it was out enough to where I just pulled out this felt material on the P/S door, D/S door is going to end up the same.

DSC02531.jpg

Hopefully the pictures can show the problem better than I can explain it...

DSC02535.jpg

Is this piece needed? As of now I have to re-tint the windows because of that glue stuff, I just don't want to run into this problem again.

I assume I need to take off the door panel to remove the D/S felt and also any remaining glue. If so, how do you take apart the door panel?

• Sponsors (?)

this same thing actually happened to me last week, when our cars get tinted, the person doin the tint job will put on a felt strip over the stock weather striping, because without the felt strip, the tint will sometimes get scratched. so you prob need to go to a tint shop and get them to put another felt strip on there

sorry to hear that, it's definitely irritating to see it everytime I look out the window.

This thing is about 1" in height, and I know they don't take the door panel off to put it on (or so I think).

Well, guess my only option now is to take it and have both windows re-tinted.

thanks for the headsup

this same thing actually happened to me last week, when our cars get tinted, the person doin the tint job will put on a felt strip over the stock weather striping, because without the felt strip, the tint will sometimes get scratched. so you prob need to go to a tint shop and get them to put another felt strip on there

Someone installed mole skin on it and its coming apart. Check out this link:

Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids - MustangForums.com

That shows how to do it. Ford has replacement moldings that where introduced in the 2008 Mustang here are the part numbers:

Ford Part numbers:
Prevents scratching of the windows.
8r3z-6321457-a
8r3z-6321456-a

Either install those or do the mole skin again. I would think that rubbing alcohol would remove the glue but not sure if it will damage the tint. Good Luck.

Either install those or do the mole skin again. [B said:
I would think that rubbing alcohol would remove the glue but not sure if it will damage the tint[/B]. Good Luck.

If anyone trys it i would like to know, im going tot do the moleskin but i dont want to redo my tint again :nonono:

Thanks for the link - probably be best to upgrade to the '08 style so I don't have to go through this again. :) ty!

If anyone trys it i would like to know, im going tot do the moleskin but i dont want to redo my tint again :nonono:

I'll try it by this weekend, I'd kinda like to go darker on the tint (plus it looks jacked up pretty bad) so I don't care if it ruins my tint.

sorry to hear that, it's definitely irritating to see it everytime I look out the window.

This thing is about 1" in height, and I know they don't take the door panel off to put it on (or so I think).

Well, guess my only option now is to take it and have both windows re-tinted.

thanks for the headsup

are your streaks on the window just glue from the back of the strip or actual scratches? it should come off with some window cleaner. And they do take the door panel off to install that strip (my tint guy did).