06 electric fan help please

Whats up s-197 guys? I usually post in 5.0 forums but i have a quick question for yall.

I bought an electric fan from a 2006 GT for $20 :D and installed it in my fox with some minor alterations to the shroud . The fan didn't come with the plug to plug into the fan motor so i have no clue which wires go where.

There are three (3) prongs on the fan motor and they go from top to bottom, If someone could be so kind to tell me which wire/s are 12v and which is ground (from top to bottom) i will be able to finish up my project. I figure one prong is ground and the other two are 12v for a high and low speed.

If it would be easier to have a pic of the connection to draw on in paint i can get one tommorow , just let me know.

Thanks ahead of time
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The top prong is the ground, the bottom prong is for 12v positive. The center prong is not used at all. Low speed operation occurs with a resistor that you probably don't have. You would also need a low and high speed relay. I'm sure you probably want high speed only anyway. If you want the actual plug that goes in the fan motor I'll send you mine for free. If not, you know what to do. (push on wire ends)

anthony05gt said:
The top prong is the ground, the bottom prong is for 12v positive. The center prong is not used at all. Low speed operation occurs with a resistor that you probably don't have. You would also need a low and high speed relay. I'm sure you probably want high speed only anyway. If you want the actual plug that goes in the fan motor I'll send you mine for free. If not, you know what to do. (push on wire ends)
Sweet !!! It's wired up now and i took it for a ride in this 98*+ houston sun and it stayed 180 the whole time!!!!

If you wanna send me that plug that would be awesome, it would make the install a little cleaner looking. I think i got like $3.50 in my paypal account for shipping if that would work.

Thanks again, and if the 5.0 guys want it, check soon for a write up on my install.
:SNSign:

Just pm me with your address and I'll send it in the mail. Don't worry about the 2 stamps.

Hey, I got your pm and I'll send it. Just to let you know, your mailbox is full here on stangnet. You're going to have to empty it. Glad to help you.

Marlboro_Man said:
Thanks, pm box is empty now!

So you think it needs 10gauge or larger wiring? Meaning i should redo my 12gauge wiring for at least a 10ga , and add a 40amp fuse at the same time. It is wired through a relay at the moment.
I have an automotive electrical handbook that indicates that a 12ga. wire can run 16 ft. at 40A with a maximum 10% voltage drop @ 12Vdc. A rule of thumb is that a circuit is fused 1.5X of its current draw. If so, the draw would be more like 40/1.5 =~ 27A. The chart indicates a 22 ft run at 30A and a 26 ft run at 25A with a maximum 10% voltage drop @ 12Vdc.

An additional chart indicates that 12 ga. wire has an ampacity of 40A at 95F, 38A at 104F, 33A at 122F.

IOW, you should be OK with the 12ga wire. so long as it meets SAE J1128 - GPT specification.