'06 gear questions

70snake

Jul 4, 2004
Hello, I'm thinking a steeper gearset may be in order, but have a few questions for those who have already done this swap.
1.) Are all 8.8 car gearsets interchangable dimensionally?

2.) Will my car need a custom tune or will just the speedo be affected?(I have a slightly taller tire on it right now, so there may be some "offsetting" of the gear's actual ratio).

3.) Should I stick with a Ford racing gearset or has anyone had luck(quietness) with a different brand?
Thanks, Snake.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the 8.8 gears are the same in most all iterations of this rear axle.

The only "tune" change will be the speedometer.

The reason that the Ford gears are preferred and much less prone to noises is that they interchange with the factory gears so well that in almost all cases, they can simply be put in with the same shim set that were on the original carrier and pinion and have a good pattern and proper backlash. Other brands can be used with success IF the installer takes the time to shim the setup properly for correct pattern and backlash. For this reason, it is just not worth the savings IMHO to use other than FRPP gears.

NOTE: One should ALWAYS check the pattern and backlash ANY TIME that the carrier is removed and replaced. Do not assume that they will be correct even with FRPP gears although they probably will be. This is the kind of carelessness that leads to noisy axles.

Yes, the 8.8 gears are the same in most all iterations of this rear axle.

The only "tune" change will be the speedometer.

The reason that the Ford gears are preferred and much less prone to noises is that they interchange with the factory gears so well that in almost all cases, they can simply be put in with the same shim set that were on the original carrier and pinion and have a good pattern and proper backlash. Other brands can be used with success IF the installer takes the time to shim the setup properly for correct pattern and backlash. For this reason, it is just not worth the savings IMHO to use other than FRPP gears.

NOTE: One should ALWAYS check the pattern and backlash ANY TIME that the carrier is removed and replaced. Do not assume that they will be correct even with FRPP gears although they probably will be. This is the kind of carelessness that leads to noisy axles.

I agree 100 percent with this post..

BTW i would go atleast 4.10's