09 challenger = 3.90's

94v6GT

May 13, 2006
so i'm browsing around the specs on these since they're gonna be hittin the streets soon, and find out that these things come with 3.90s stock!:flag:

thought it was interesting, thats all
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I bet it will be mid to high 13s.

Lots of horse power and torque, great power plant. Crappy traction, tires, transmission, and the cars all weigh over 2 tons.

With the ridiculous 20" dubs you'd NEED 3.90s. It probably works out to the equivalent of our 3.27s.

Adam

The tranny is a TR6060 derived from a Viper.....I wouldn't really call that a crappy transmission. I agree with the tire size/gear thing though. The tires on those are ~28.5" tall. I bet some 4.30s work pretty nice in them.

The 20" rims plus the 4,000+ LBS makes them not all that fast. Yeah they can be modded but I'm not sure how big the aftermarket is for them yet.

Yes they are out now but that's this years model, the 09's come w/ the manual as well all the ones out now are auto's. My idea of making a fast muscle car is not putting huge rims on it w/ a car that tips the scales at 4,000 + w/ out the driver. My car is 3,600 w/ me in it w/ full interior. Now I have a rear seat delete and I pull the passenger side seat out when I go to the track.

11.6slip.jpg
The tranny is a TR6060 derived from a Viper.....I wouldn't really call that a crappy transmission. I agree with the tire size/gear thing though. The tires on those are ~28.5" tall. I bet some 4.30s work pretty nice in them.

Its a crappy transmission, because 6 speeds suck in the quarter mile unless the gearing for both the car and the transmission are setup as if it was a 4 or 5 speed and the extra 2 gears aren't needed at the end.

See the attached time slip in a modified STI running 11.6 at Epping. Shifting 4 times BLOWS. I bet I would knock off 2 tenths with 1 less shift. This is my friend's car, its a 2005 STI with an 82mm turbo upgrade and all the supporting goodies riding on Falken Azeni (SP?) that are a little beat because the car's main purpose is auto cross.

By the way, the words "Dodge" and "transmission" should never be mentioned happily in the same sentence.

thanks,

Adam

11.6slip.jpg

Its a crappy transmission, because 6 speeds suck in the quarter mile unless the gearing for both the car and the transmission are setup as if it was a 4 or 5 speed and the extra 2 gears aren't needed at the end.

See the attached time slip in a modified STI running 11.6 at Epping. Shifting 4 times BLOWS. I bet I would knock off 2 tenths with 1 less shift. This is my friend's car, its a 2005 STI with an 82mm turbo upgrade and all the supporting goodies riding on Falken Azeni (SP?) that are a little beat because the car's main purpose is auto cross.

By the way, the words "Dodge" and "transmission" should never be mentioned happily in the same sentence.

thanks,

Adam

I was the car in the right lane :p

This is what it comes down to, the charger that is out now has huge ass rims, weighs a lot, is an auto so thats why it has a 6.1L with over 400 HP and runs 13's

Interesting thread :D

If you look close :eek:

Good info can be found :nice:

1. A critical element with rear gear ratio is ........

Total diameter of tire used ... not necessarily ... size of rim

Also

2. Big ... pretty rims ... and tires ... most of the time ... they be HEAVY :(

Not the best thing :nono:
If you wanna be quick :Word:

Grady

11.6slip.jpg

thanks,

Adam

Not trying to start a pissing match, but my '04 Cobra was a 6 speed and I went through the traps at the top of 4th and never had any problems at the track. Never had any problems in my Uncles WS6 which had a 6 speed. Or my Dad's Vette. If you look at the ratios of the TR6060 in the Challenger, it looks like they're going to work out just fine. I'll bet the car goes through the traps in 4th gear too, especially with the 3.90s. Keep in mind, the TR6060 is an evolution of the T56 and is in like I said, the Viper, Corvette, GT500, 2010 Camaro, and might even be in a few more cars. It is by no means a crappy transmission. I think comparing any of the mentioned cars and transmissions to your friends Subi is a apples to oranges comparison though.

By the way, the transmission is made by TREMEC, not Dodge.

You wanna talk about crappy transmissions? We can talk about T5s or T45s if you want.

Not trying to start a pissing match, but my '04 Cobra was a 6 speed and I went through the traps at the top of 4th and never had any problems at the track. Never had any problems in my Uncles WS6 which had a 6 speed. Or my Dad's Vette. If you look at the ratios of the TR6060 in the Challenger, it looks like they're going to work out just fine. I'll bet the car goes through the traps in 4th gear too, especially with the 3.90s. Keep in mind, the TR6060 is an evolution of the T56 and is in like I said, the Viper, Corvette, GT500, 2010 Camaro, and might even be in a few more cars. It is by no means a crappy transmission. I think comparing any of the mentioned cars and transmissions to your friends Subi is a apples to oranges comparison though.

By the way, the transmission is made by TREMEC, not Dodge.

You wanna talk about crappy transmissions? We can talk about T5s or T45s if you want.

Just saying from personal experience, after rowing through it 4 times and ending in fifth, I know I was leaving more on the table. If they do indeed work it correctly with ratios then it won't be a big deal. I tried Googling but couldn't find what was in the Challenger, throw them up there if you have the info handy please!

You don't find 6 speeds harder to drive in general? I always think I'm working harder even tooling around on the street. My only 6 speed experience is the Subaru and a 1995 Corvette. The easiest stick I've ever driven was a 98 BMW M3 5 speed, that thing drove itself.

Adam

I saw the Challenger SRT8 at the local Dodge dealer last week and all I can say is.........HUGE!

That is one massively large vehicle. Forget about the weight and the size of the wheels.......this cars is just plain large.

Granted, the Challenger has some neat looks. It sits quite tall, but maybe the showroom was playing tricks on my eyes. The price was over $40K, so eh......not interested. Gas mileage was like 13 city andd 18 highway, premium only.

I'm surprised the dealers around Atlanta have them available. I thought this was supposed to be a huge deal like the Shelbys. Not so much from what it looks like.

Just saying from personal experience, after rowing through it 4 times and ending in fifth, I know I was leaving more on the table. If they do indeed work it correctly with ratios then it won't be a big deal. I tried Googling but couldn't find what was in the Challenger, throw them up there if you have the info handy please!

You don't find 6 speeds harder to drive in general? I always think I'm working harder even tooling around on the street. My only 6 speed experience is the Subaru and a 1995 Corvette. The easiest stick I've ever driven was a 98 BMW M3 5 speed, that thing drove itself.

Adam

I don't know what the deal is with imports and going through the traps in 5th. I've seen that before with Subarus, Evos, DSMs.....I dunno, I'm not into them. Here's the ratios for the Challenger; 1st:2.97, 2nd:2.10, 3rd:1.46, 4th:1.00, 5th:0.74, 6th:0.50. I decided to enter the numbers into a calculator just to get a ballpark figure of rpm/speed.

Speed/RPM Calculator

That's numbers for a 6 speed R/T with 3.90s, 245/45-20 tires, and a 5800 rpm redline. It'll probably trap around 100 mph +/- in the 1/4, so that's 4th gear according to that. Again, not completely accurate, but gives you an idea.

The worst thing I've ever encountered with any 6 speed I've driven is GM's CAGS. The 1st to 4th skip shift. Hate it, but it only happens if you drive like a granny. It can be eliminated anyways. The T56 in my old '04 was like butter with the MGW shifter. I wish I would have put a T56 in my '94 instead of a TKO600. Would've cost about the same. I didn't realize how much I'd miss the 6 speed. My gripe with the 5 speed is 4th gear is 1.00 and 5th is 0.64. With the 6 speed in the '04 4th was 1.00, 5th was 0.80, and 6th was 0.63. The .80 5th is nice to have when 4th is running up more than you want and the 6th OD gear is too much, which is a situation I encounter a lot around town cruising around 50-55. I'm really liking my TKO though....the more miles I get on it, the smoother it gets. I need to get a MGW shifter for it sometime.

You oughta go find a '03-04 Cobra and some GM LSx 6 speed cars to test drive and then see what you think.

I was gonna add what grady said...

It doesnt matter what the overall tire height is. I'll assume they're basically the same for all wheel sizes on a car.

The biggest thing will be the weight from that huge 20" wheel. I can feel a difference between 18" Mach 1s and 17" tri bars. So that added gear won't help unless u take those 20s off IMO. Or get an aftermarket light weight wheel. Otherwise u gotta step up the gear IMO. We'll see though.