1/4 mile times on my new 98 Cobra

xlr857

Jan 9, 2004
Well Ive had my car 2 weeks and took it to an import vs. domestic race here in Phoenix. Here's my best time. I beat a new SRT-4 Neon much to my surprise there not that fast unless your an ace driver he ran a 16.435. Im pretty impressed for my first time with a manual down the track. Just as quick as my 97 Z-28. I'm thinking with a better 60ft I could manage a high 13 low 14. What are your opinions.

Reaction: 1.057 (this sucks I know)

I1 60ft 2.447
I2 6.395
I3 9.603
MPH (I3) 77.261
I4 12.247

E.T. 14.597
MPH 98.840

• Sponsors (?)

You're 60' is hurting you BUT an SRT doesn't need an ace driver, you probably saw an R/T or SXT IF some one ran a 16 in an SRT they should be beaten senseless, seriously, I pulled 2.1 60' stock and ran a 14.1-my best trap was 100mph-I fist pulled up to the line launched a 2.5 60, by dumping the clutch, and STILL running a 14.4@100mph, the day just got hotter, me ets got MUCH better after the first run but the trap went down mainly due to heat.
Your times could be better, consider every .1 you can knock off your 60' you 'could' be saving .2 in the 1/4...soooo right off the bat learn to launch your car to a 2.0 or a 2.1 60' at least -2.2 is acceptable but can be better-. Say a 2.1 60' theoretically could have been a 13.9 or better pass. It's all in the 60'. Also, you should focus more on your 60 as opposed to RT, you can sit at the line for a minute and still run the same et, rt only should come AFTER you've practiced good launching technics, It sounds stupid but you spun badly off the line right? Try launching your car slower, kinda like around 2-2500 rpm and slip the clutch a little, you'll feel like your taking off slow but your ET AND 60' will increase dramatically. DON'T pop off the clutch at the line, common mistake on street tires, there are not sticky enough to hold the tourqe an engine like your produces. Drag radials are different story :) Does this help any?

Thanks for the response. You would be very surprised there were 5 SRT-4 Neons, it was some neon club yes they were the real SRT neon too Autometer boost guage and all. 4 out of the five could not run better than mid 15's one yellow one ran a 14.2 that was the best for the turbo neons. I was baffled Im assuming crappy driving because I know they are supposed to be low 14 high 13 sec cars. Ive ran at that track probably 100 passes on my Z-28 and Integra. Im not worried about RT my Z-28 was an auto so it was pretty easy to get a good RT just drop the hammer whent he lights start to fall. I am curious though I only got two runs in, my first run I couldnt bypass the water box so I spun all the way down and ran a 15.7 at 98mph. my 2nd run I got the 14.5 at 98mph. I launched very soft my second run I just let the clutch out at an idle and floored once I got moving. What is a good rpm to launch at in these cars. I just cant figure out how I ran the same mph with no traction 1st run and good traction 2nd run. My Z-28 ran 14.2 at the same mph so I know there is some more in the Cobra. Im going to go back out next weekend when its just a regular track day when I can get a good 10 runs in and experiment. Is it possible to see mid 13's without a large sum of cash and reliability.

The SRTs are probably owned by a bunch of kids...sad...back to you, although I don't own a Cobra I do know a pretty good bit about cars in general, I (from what I've read) believe your BIGGEST gain would be from a set of 3.73 gears, that mod alone w/ a better launch should net you mid 13s on street tires and porbably give 1-3 mph on your trap. As far as spinning and still trapping 98, to me trap is more indicative of your cars real potential, trapping 98 is usually good for a LOW 14 or HIGH 13, on street tires it can be hard but as long as your trapping well it can help you understand about your car, now et is more of a drivers/ skill number, 60% of people could probably hop in your car and trap 98, but only say 40% could actually get it to hook and run a good et. Hard to say, I'm going back out to Reynolds this saturday and hoping to be trapping around 103-104mph BUT I only hope to get a 13.9 on my 18" wheels and full interior-why, cause 1 st immediatly breaks loose and spins and when I shift to 2nd my car spins to 6krpm and just spins until it hooks then its time to shift, hell, I can be riding about 30mph in 2nd, go full throttle and it spins :) I don't even expect to pull 2.1 60' due to how my car was stock (I only got 8lbs of boost in 1st then 12 in 2nd as opposed to 15psi in every gear now, wheelspin has become a big issue) but I really hope for 13.9@103 or better. I say stay out of the water if you're on street tires, launch around 2500-3000rpm and do not dump the clutch, actually slip the clutch some to help keep traction (you will feel like your taking off slow but you WILL cut your 60' down tremendously) and then full throttle, slam 2nd and hold it until it stops spinning then just go w/ the flow. Some don't believe in slipping the clutch I do...on street tires, and if you want to help the life of your tranny. I think if you try my method a few times and get the hang of it you'll like it and pull some really great times. As far as your quest for mid 13s, seriously, I would only by suspension, exhaust, a k&n filter and a set of 3.73s. If you can't install the gears it WILL be worth the $$$ to install although at the time it might not seem like it, once you drive it for the first time you'll thank me.

xlr - what mods are on the cobra? My 96 was trapping around 101 bone stock. Most trap in the 99-101 area depending on location/humidity/altitude.

btw, 3.73's are NOT a good gear choice for a 4v unless the car is doing hardcore daily driver duty and you cannot stand slightly higher than normal RPMs on the freeway.

SRT Neons can be fast.... I almost got beat by one in my 03! I didnt have a good run (this was when I was bone stock) still getting used to the car I ran a 13.54 he ran a 13.6 something but my reaction time was much better. This guy has the whole Mopar stage 2 kit or something but 13.6 is damn good for a neon :nice:

92gt5.0 said:
SRT Neons can be fast.... I almost got beat by one in my 03! I didnt have a good run (this was when I was bone stock) still getting used to the car I ran a 13.54 he ran a 13.6 something but my reaction time was much better. This guy has the whole Mopar stage 2 kit or something but 13.6 is damn good for a neon :nice:
Stage 2 isn;t out yet, an SRT CAN run a 13.6 w/ JUST a boost controller anddrag radials OR stock and just a set of slicks. I thought it was more like .2 but .15 makes sense. Thanks.