1.7 rr on stock cam?

crazypete said:
My 4.56 equipped, automatic, carbed heavily modded stang is also my daily driver. Nothing like kicking some ass every day during your morning commute. Worth an extra dollar or two in gas.

Is it your only car? Do you not have another car as an option if you "had" to use it? What is good for others (steep gears for you) are not so good for others (like those who express concern). If one has to ask about the pros/cons about a steep gear then that should say right there that 4:30's or 4:56's are not needed.

• Sponsors (?)

You got me! It's my only car.

But I came right out and said I'm pulling 3k rpms at 80mph. So there was no deception.

Truth be told.....I HAD 3.73's on my aod. Much much too mild. The car had a decided lack of umph in spite of serious weight reduction and and bolt-ons. The rpms were too low across the board to make use of the power. When manually shifted back, if was alright but still lacking. When she was stick, I would just choose a gear so I could cruise at 2500-2700 but the auto was too conservative. Solution:

Trango kit with high rpm governor and steep steep gears. Perfect combo. I still get 20 mpg on it cruising at 75 mph. Thats pretty good with 4.56 gears!!!

For a daily commuter....even the 373's are mild. I vote for 4.10's. As for daily driver.....darnit...dude, this is a sports car. If rpm and gas milage and parts wear are the primary concern, this is not the right car for the job. Stangs are high mainenence, expensive to operate and tons of fun. If daily driven, one must expect to make certain concessions. Otherwise....if tuned for milage/low rpm/reliability....they will fall flat when the competition steps up. Whats the point of a sportscar that cant race/compete with other sportscars?

crazypete said:
You got me! It's my only car.

Cool

crazypete said:
But I came right out and said I'm pulling 3k rpms at 80mph. So there was no deception.

Yep...good man :nice:

crazypete said:
For a daily commuter....even the 373's are mild. I vote for 4.10's. As for daily driver.....darnit...dude, this is a sports car. If rpm and gas milage and parts wear are the primary concern, this is not the right car for the job. Stangs are high mainenence, expensive to operate and tons of fun. If daily driven, one must expect to make certain concessions. Otherwise....if tuned for milage/low rpm/reliability....they will fall flat when the competition steps up. Whats the point of a sportscar that cant race/compete with other sportscars?

I disagree...I have 373's and they are not mild at all (that is an opinion, in which yours is pretty rare all in all)...I get 24mpg in mixed driving :)

I disagree...stangs are not high maintenance, nor expensive to operate but they are tons of fun. They are just as reliable as any other similar conditioned car of their age.

Would you rather get 2mpg or 20mpg? Exactly... :D I personally like to know my car is taken care of internally and is in good tune (gas mileage) and still runs with your ls1 vettes...and can cruise comfortably with out my engine "whining" out...

I don't consider a mustang a sports car...

I run 4.10's in my 5spd and love 'em.
I previously had 3.73's, they were a nice gear too, "I" prefer the 4.10's.

If my car were auto, "I" would be looking at 4.30's or 4.56's and a 3000 stall.

For the 1.7's... since you have the intake restriction taken care of, you might see the ~5hp mentioned above... they certianly will not hurt you, but I'd not expect to 'feel' the difference.

I run 1.7's under the stock valve covers running a cam with over 0.540" lift and stock steel/rubber gaskets, a slight massage of the oil baffle and all was golden... no 50 bux spent, and nice clean stock valve covers, which "I" prefer.

Good Luck in making your decisions.

5spd GT said:
..........and is in good tune (gas mileage) and still runs with your ls1 vettes...and can cruise comfortably with out my engine "whining" out...

I don't consider a mustang a sports car...

You run with Ls1 vettes with your mods??? Nicely done. By most insurance standards only 2 seated cars are sports cars (porsche, ferrari, vette etc.) and this is why chevy put back seats in the camaro and ford did the mustang the same. I mean.... who the F..K can seat in those seats besides a 6 year old.

tbadair said:
You run with Ls1 vettes with your mods??? Nicely done. By most insurance standards only 2 seated cars are sports cars (porsche, ferrari, vette etc.) and this is why chevy put back seats in the camaro and ford did the mustang the same. I mean.... who the F..K can seat in those seats besides a 6 year old.

Yeah I trap higher than them at the local track...

The ls1 vettes (same engine in the camaro/transam) trap around 106-109mph I'm hitting the higher part of that. Now of course the vettes are much nicer :)

I actually like the seats in the back (style wise)...but they are not for bigger people really...I know what you mean :nice:

I just bought 3.73's and I love em'.. I wouldn't go any higher though, you'd be surprised how much faster the revs rise on the highway when you're cruising, and that for me (coupled with the $2.30 price of gas) was a deciding factor...