1-D-1 w/ Transgo?

hmm... I don't know what Andre set the torque multiplication at.
My car is actually not too much heavier than a non-convertible.
It has no back seat, remember, and it is a manual top also, so there's no motor or hydraulic fluid or electronics, and there's no heavy hatch.
I don't know the actual curb weight off-hand, but I'll try to find out.
The more I drive it, the more "normal" the car feels under "normal" conditions.
Like ramjet said, the only "big" difference is the 2000 rpm takeoff, but that also depends on how you take off.
But damn, when I floor it from a stop, a quick scream of the tires, and I'm OUTTA there!! :D
I can't imagine when I put the heads and intake on.... :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

ya know, I've thought about it alot, but I really want something that I can use for 100 feet at a time if I want, 55 times a day...but sometimes I think it would kick ass to take someone out unexpectedly if I so desired w/o having daily stress on the engine...

I don't know,There's pro's and cons I guess...

i had a 2200 and in a '90 gt and it didn't feel much more than stock, i noticed a nice diff, but at the same rebuild (1 of the 3) i also got the wide ratio kit put in....they still make that in a kit? changes 1st from 2.40-2.84 and also 2nd w/ some better clutches

anyway...i always said i wouldn't go less than 3000 after that.

and yeah for sure flashing higher w/ the 'vert

also..last thing...i noticed as well that stomping on it from idle produced better ET's than flashing to max

worth a tenth or two if i remember

I went to the track with my setup and found out just stomping it from idle produced the best results. I had no damn traction I was just spinning like crazy. I tried all different ways to launch, and from going from idle is the best. Only thing was my car always shifted into overdrive. I wanted to downshift but I was too scared to do it on a 150 shot since I have to drive home......

ramjetlx said:
I went to the track with my setup and found out just stomping it from idle produced the best results. I had no damn traction I was just spinning like crazy. I tried all different ways to launch, and from going from idle is the best. Only thing was my car always shifted into overdrive. I wanted to downshift but I was too scared to do it on a 150 shot since I have to drive home......

just put the car in drive not overdrive

That's what I found, that stomping it from idle gives the least amount of spin. I've only tried it twice, in D, and stepped off around 45 MPH, so I don't know if it would shift into OD at WOT if I left it on D.
When (and if) I try it out, I'll let you guys know --

Actually my car shifts into overdrive from when I have the shifter in drive. Im getting frustrated because when it shifts into od it lags hard!!! Is my kit installed incorrectly or is there a way to change this. It only kicks into OD when I run the nitrous, and I have 4.10's and a 3000 stall. Could this be the problem, I run out of gear and it shifts into OD. I know people say it shouldnt but mine does!!!!

Ramjetlx,

Did you install the valve and spring for the Governor in the rear tail shaft? Before I didn't and it did shift into OD when in D at WOT. Now with the Govenor mods it doesn't seem to do it anymore. It also pushed the 2-3 shift to about 5,200 RPM.

Don

I do have a lockup converter that is a 3000 stall. I am running Potenza S03 tires with just 3000 miles on them. I contacted transgo and was told to enlarge the hole in the 3/4 shift valve to allow more fluid.(?)The transmission shifts at 5500 in every gear but then it goes into OD. Is it safe to drop it into the 1 spot on the shift if it kicks into OD? My car is an 87 and is not computer controlled, so I don tknow if this will actually take it to first gear or back into third. I really appreciate your help on this everyone!!!

ramjetlx said:
Is it safe to drop it into the 1 spot on the shift if it kicks into OD? My car is an 87 and is not computer controlled, so I don tknow if this will actually take it to first gear or back into third.
I second that question.
I've always wondered if that would try to slam my tranny back into 1st and blow it up, or just downshift it into the lowest (safest) available gear???

I'm pretty sure it won't downshift all the way to first (not really up on the transgo kit). You might want to call the tech line at transgo and see what they say. I'd be a little hesitant to downshift at that kind of speed just in case. Don't forget that you've still got that wimpy input shaft in there.

I have a solid one piece input shaft in mine. But the tech at Transgo is not very helpful. I fried my OD band a couple days ago because of this problem. I can hear the servo just spinning freely. So Im gonna ditch the shift kit and throw in a manual valve body. At least I dont have to worry about it going into OD for now!!!!